Like Tree5Likes

Thread: [Review] Acer W3-810

Member #
    My Device
    Pro
    Liked
    99 times

[Review] Acer W3-810

During my lunch hour, I picked up the Acer W3 Windowstablet. Some of you already know, this is the first 8Ē Windows tablet with fullWindows 8. It also includes free Office suite, which is nice.

The casing is not high quality like the Surface or someother but still feels pretty nice. Itís a three-tone device with a grey back,white sides, and black front.

I picked up the 32GB because I really only wanted it formedia consumption. Iím not going to do real work on it. So after I fired it up,I checked how much space I had left. Well it wasnít much at all; it only had11.1GB left. However, like most Windows tablets, you can add a micro SD card,which I have one waiting at home.

Honestly, this device is very snappy for having full Windowsrunning on an Intel Atom with 2GB RAM. Thereís no lag or delay between apps.

I think the W3 is about the size of a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0,maybe slightly longer.

Itís light weight, but do think itís a little heavier thanthe Galaxy Tab. The stat sheet states its 1.10lbs.

If youíre into social networks, thereís a very nice appcalled Social Jogger. This could be an Acer only app, but not sure. You can loginto FB, Twitter, YouTube, and some other network I never heard of.

It does have a mini-USB port, mini-HDMI port, and a microSDcard port.

The power cord is pretty short, so you might need a powerstrip if youíre going to charge it while using it in bed.

For anyone that uses a Surface, you know you can touch the Windows logo to get back to the Start screenÖ.with the W3, thereís a Startbutton on the right side that takes you back to the Start screen. So thereís noaccidental grazing of the logo that takes you to the Start screen.

Using the W3 is best used indoors or when itís not so brightoutside. When I was unpacking it inside my car, I notice that the screen hasthat oily type sheen when viewed in an angle. The screen is not top of the line, but stilllooks pretty nice when in the right lit conditions.

I think thatís about it. If you guys have any questions about the W3, feel free to ask.

Oh yeah, so if youíre anal about disk space, get the 64GBmodel.
    Mr.NK likes this.

Member #
    My Device
    Pro
    Liked
    117 times
    Did it come loaded with 8.1 or did you load it on there yet.

Member #
    My Device
    Pro
    Liked
    99 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyz3 View Post
    Did it come loaded with 8.1 or did you load it on there yet.
    No 8.1, just regular Windows 8.

Member #
    My Device
    RT
    Liked
    14 times
    I'm waiting for my 64gig model now, unfortunately there is a substitute UPS driver who entered a delivery exception and I have to go pick it up at the warehouse this evening. Looking forward to getting it in my hands.

Member #
    My Device
    Pro
    Liked
    99 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom T View Post
    I'm waiting for my 64gig model now, unfortunately there is a substitute UPS driver who entered a delivery exception and I have to go pick it up at the warehouse this evening. Looking forward to getting it in my hands.
    After a full night of goofing around with the W3, I'm liking it. Sometimes the screen throws me off because at certain angles it has a weird 3D effect. For example, when I have the on-screen keyboard on and I'm looking from a certain angle, the letters pop out to me. I guess it's the quality of the screen. If looking straight on, the screen looks nice.

Member #
    My Device
    Pro
    Liked
    99 times
    Just discovered something with the W3. I believe this is because of the size of the screen but you cant snap applications. Maybe this will be fixed in 8.1, but on the current W8, you cant. I'm assuming that the 64GB model will be the same. Not a big deal to me, but I'm sure it is for some that like to snap apps.

Member #
    My Device
    Pro
    Liked
    117 times
    Yep i think that was one of the big features of 8.1 support for smaller screens. Are you going to update to it on the Acer?

Member #
    My Device
    Pro
    Liked
    99 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyz3 View Post
    Yep i think that was one of the big features of 8.1 support for smaller screens. Are you going to update to it on the Acer?
    No 8.1 for me. I did update my Samsung Ultrabook to 8.1 and it was killing me HD. It was making it run at 100% and because of that, it was causing the system to lock up pretty badly. So I had to reset it to factory. This is why I usually do not mess around with previews. I can wait for the real deal. It's only a few months away.

Member #
    My Device
    RT
    Liked
    14 times
    I picked mine up fairly late last night, got it charged and set up, played around with it for a while. I kind of expected the screen to be bad, and it's probably because my expectations were low, but I'm satisfied with it so far. The display isn't going to be an issue for me. The performance is snappy (that's a highly technical term, I know, but I've always been the intellectual type.....). Configured Office and Onenote was able to Sync right up so I'm pretty happy with it so far. For me it is almost instantly useful, and that says a lot.

Member #
    My Device
    Pro
    Liked
    99 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom T View Post
    I picked mine up fairly late last night, got it charged and set up, played around with it for a while. I kind of expected the screen to be bad, and it's probably because my expectations were low, but I'm satisfied with it so far. The display isn't going to be an issue for me. The performance is snappy (that's a highly technical term, I know, but I've always been the intellectual type.....). Configured Office and Onenote was able to Sync right up so I'm pretty happy with it so far. For me it is almost instantly useful, and that says a lot.
    how much space was left after all the set up? I'm down to 9.3GB after setting up Office. Yeah, the screen is not the best, but still looks nice and bright. As much as I love my Surface Pro, it wasn't great reading the Xbox Magazine app. With this Acer, I read half the magazine last night.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Ads