Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Reigster at Microsoft Surface Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Touch/Type Keyboard Compatiable rear "shell" for Surface Pro??

Member #
    My Device
    Pro
    Liked
    2 times

Question Touch/Type Keyboard Compatiable rear "shell" for Surface Pro??

Howdy Everyone,

I just recently purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro, and am evaluating it as a replacement for my iPad 4. With my iPad 4, I have it in an Apple "Smart Case" which protects the iPad from scratches and scuffs. I am wondering if such a thing exists for the Surface Pro? I would like to get either a Touch or Type cover, and then get a shell that (works with the kickstand) that would protect the back from scratches as well. I am hyper-paranoid right now, so I always set it down screen first on a micro fiber cloth, to keep the back pristine. Does anybody know of a back shell-like case for the Surface Pro? I am hesitiant to use a "skin" or sticker as it would difficult for me to get one put on without bubbles or get it on straight, plus I would be worried abour residue from the adhesive, and the possibility of a peice fo dust or something getting trapped between it and the Surface, causing more scratches.

Convesely, is the VaporMg case resilliant enough where protection isn't necessary? Thanks!

Rich

Member #
    My Device
    RT
    Liked
    262 times
    Rich, for most people the case is durable though some have had scratches or flaking. There are many threads dedicated to covers, cases and durability. Some skins don't have the possibility of "bubbles" like the carbon fiber or brushed metal options as opposed to the clear types that might have bubbles.

Honestly you can't protect your Surface from everything and even with a snap on plastic case of some sort or any other protection you might get dust trapped between the case and the Surface. Additionally more dust and dirt can collect in the gap between such case and the device. Furthermore snapping the corners of a tight fitting case over the corners of the Surface could cause wear or damage to the corners of the Surface. Ok, hopefully you see where I am going with this

I don't think there is any snap on style case at the moment and there probably won't be any that work with the kickstand due to design limitations. There are plenty of good options for stick on protection. Many of the stick on protectors do not leave residue and are completely removable. Check the threads for more details and feedback the on various options.

JP
    “Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.” - Albert Einstein

Need help navigating Windows? Try here: How To: Overview, Features and Navigate Windows Mouse and Touch

Looking for apps? Try here: Windows App Stores

Member #
    My Device
    Pro
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks JP! I tend to be a little over-protective of my electronics. Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know how a protective skin on the back of the Surface Pro impacts warranty? Thanks!

Rich

Member #
    My Device
    RT
    Liked
    262 times
    For the official answer I suggest contacting MS but I can't imagine it would have any impact on the warranty. Also here are a couple of threads you might want to check out.

Ghost Armor Full Body protector

Lots of Skins Now Available

Big scratches on my outer Surface casing. Possible fixes?

JP
    “Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.” - Albert Einstein

Need help navigating Windows? Try here: How To: Overview, Features and Navigate Windows Mouse and Touch

Member #
    My Device
    RT
    Liked
    262 times
    Good news Rich, it looks like there is a kickstarter for your exact request Kickstarter Surface Pro case that has expansion ports.

JP

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Question iPad smart cover equivalent for Surface Pro?

I just replaced my iPad with a Microsoft Surface Pro. With my iPad, I had a smart cover. What this did was turn on my iPad automatically when I opened the cover and turned off my iPad when I closed the cover.

I was looking for a equivalent for the Surface Pro but can't seem to find anything. Anyone know of such an accessory for the Pro? If so, can you send a link?

Thanks a million.

--- Val

Member #
    My Device
    RT
    Liked
    262 times
    Welcome to the forum Val. hopefully this thread will help you.

Member #
    My Device
    Other
    Liked
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vpalhories View Post
    I just replaced my iPad with a Microsoft Surface Pro. With my iPad, I had a smart cover. What this did was turn on my iPad automatically when I opened the cover and turned off my iPad when I closed the cover.

I was looking for a equivalent for the Surface Pro but can't seem to find anything. Anyone know of such an accessory for the Pro? If so, can you send a link?

Thanks a million.

--- Val
    Val,

If you have either the Touch of Type cover and set the power options to sleep when I close the lid, you are set. Mine goes to sleep the second I close the Type cover on it.
    The Surface RT's failure was not due to consumers having inflated or misguided expectations of it, but rather RT's failure to meet even the lowest of either. -me

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by machistmo View Post
    Val,

If you have either the Touch of Type cover and set the power options to sleep when I close the lid, you are set. Mine goes to sleep the second I close the Type cover on it.
    Don't have a keyboard yet. My primary use is for taking notes during meetings or as I walk around plants with customers. I'm fine with the on screen keyboard but without being able to raise the pro a few degrees (like I can with my iPad) it's not ideal. Based on my research there is nothing good out there therefore I may have to cave in and purchase a keyboard.

Thanks again.

--- Val

Member #
    My Device
    RT
    Liked
    262 times
    Why can't you raise the Surface a few degrees for OSK typing? Just set a little something under there (your iPhone perhaps ) and there you go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads