Reigster at Microsoft Surface Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    My Device
    RT
    Liked
    46 times

Cool MediaMonkey music app with flac-support

Because some Users where asking: Since a few days, there is an app capable of playing flac files: MediaMonkey. I rember using this program before on older windows-versions and they transferred the best parts to this app: Support of multiple formats (mp3, flac, ogg ... eve standard video) and a well thought interface. I got the feeling: This is what xbox music should be looking like (sort of).

Pro:
    - Support for Audio (mp3, mp3, flac, ogg, ...) Video (standard like mp4, no mkv)
    - best ui atm
    - ability to index every folder you want (beware of really large collections, because it did crash regularly on my rt)
    - DLNA/UPNP (it didn't worked with my twonky 7.0.9 running on a Zyxel NSA325 (running fine with Multimedia8), but Arnolds running fine with a N900-Router)
    - Equalizer (i think that's a need only for the inbuilt or rubbish speakers)
    - Editing of ID3-Tags
    - some bugs

Neutral:
    - Lyrics-support (i dont need that)
    - connectivity with the media-monkey desktop program (wifi-sync is a 3,99€)
    - just a golden-brown background

Negative:
    - no support of music-pass
    - while scanning a big library it consumed a lot of ram and crashes regularly
    - no mkv-support for Video
    - no inbuilt adding of podcasts/audio-books - i reckon, you'll have to this with the desktop-program.

So a.t.m. it's definitely better than xboxmusic (if you don't care about music pass) and Multimedia8 - give it a try

Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    I agree with you on the equalizer, while it is subjective, and I don't need it.

The major flaw of the Music App is that it is a pain getting your new media files recognized on the SD card without a re-index. For MediaMonkey, add a file to the SD card, close (if open) and then open MediaMonkey and they're seen.

If your NAS is not recognized, or MediaMonkey crashes trying to access the catalog, you can easily use the Desktop file manager as follows:

Negative:

- the video does not re-size in snapped mode, it is truncated, making it useless in snapped mode.

Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    My Synology DS212j and DS712+ arrived yesterday, but ran out of Western Digital RED drives, so only the DS212j has been configured.

Updated to DSM 4.1 and installed Media Server. MediaMonkey now sees it via uPNP option, but still crashes on some operations, such as Play All of the album. Navigating the media files no longer cause it to crash, unlike when accessing my Western Digital N900C. I can now play individual files reliably without MediaMonkey crashing. I will report this issue and hopefully will get an update.
    Last edited by ArnoldC; 02-11-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Member #
    My Device
    RT
    Liked
    2 times
    I really love this app! I can finally stream a huge collection of music in flac format that is spread out over several different external HDs. I installed the latest version on my desktop, loaded my media files to the library and bam! Very nice to be able to stream music and video anywhere in the house. Worth the $4.99 for the wifi option. Definitely a top fiver in my book.
    Blows all other media apps out of the water imho.

Member #
    My Device
    RT
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldC View Post
    My Synology DS212j and DS712+ arrived yesterday, but ran out of Western Digital RED drives, so only the DS212j has been configured.

Updated to DSM 4.1 and installed Media Server. MediaMonkey now sees it via uPNP option, but still crashes on some operations, such as Play All of the album. Navigating the media files no longer cause it to crash, unlike when accessing my Western Digital N900C. I can now play individual files reliably without MediaMonkey crashing. I will report this issue and hopefully will get an update.
    There was an update this morning, but the only thing it fixed, was to remove the Letters in Album-View, so something i didn't wanted to be fixed. App still crashes after 3 minutes while scanning my collection, but it's storing the successful scans, so it could be finished after only 50 restarts . However i did not test the UPNP-Functionality this morning.

Member #
    Liked
    112 times

RE: MediaMonkey music app with flac-support

I haven't installed the update when I posted. Will try later, as I'm moving 700GB of data the painful way, I.e. Via network. I could have just plugged in the source disk to the Synology but I ran out of power outlet.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

Member #
    My Device
    RT
    Liked
    46 times
    For me there was no huge difference in copying between network or usb (or even 3.0) - since the Zyxel and my 2,5" USB 3.0 reaching same top speeds in terms of writing (about 50-60) and reading.

Btw: Grats to your 2 DS's, i'm loving the DSM and administrating a 211 in our office is much more convenient than working with my Zyxel (which is a lot cheaper). BTT

Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    New updates today-

Release notes

Fixed numerous stability issues
    Fixed wrong genres read for m4a files
    Fixed rating isn't read for FLAC, OGG, WMA, WAV
    Fixed 'shuffle' button has dotted square around it in some cases

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Still hasn't fixed the crashing issue when scanning my library of 20gb. I really want this app to work!

Member #
    My Device
    RT
    Liked
    46 times
    There where numerous updates, and while its now runnign smoother and the crashes aren't that constant, the scanning of my library isn't finished yet due to the remaining crashes :/
    Despite those problems, it's still the best music app for RT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads