Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Reigster at Microsoft Surface Forums
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1
    Junior Member Leica's Avatar
    Member
    #8636
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    9
    Member #
    8636

    Slow Wi-Fi with Surface

    My Wi-Fi router is the Apple Airport Extreme (latest generation). On my MacBook Pro Retina if I copy files from my server I get speeds of around 18MB/s. On my Surface it is only at about 5MB/s.

    Why so much slower? Isn't the Surface also 5GHz 802.11n?

    Is there something wrong?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Administrator leeshor's Avatar
    Member
    #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Norcross, GA
    Posts
    436
    Member #
    35
    My Device
    Other
    Liked
    51 times
    There have been some widely reported issues with WiFi performance on the Surface. But you may want to try a channel change on your router to see if it makes a difference.

  3. #3
    Senior Member R0bR's Avatar
    Member
    #7695
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    331
    Member #
    7695
    Liked
    19 times
    I tried everything with my setup and I can only get between 4-5MB/s on the Surface. This is the only performance issue I have with the Surface because it affects streaming of HD video. At first I thought the Mobile HD app was having trouble with MKV's because every once in a while my video stream stutters. Add to that I stream the audio to my external speakers through Bluetooth which makes the audio out of sync a bit (doesn't happen with standard video files). I copied the MKV local, at a slow 4-5MB/s, and the video plays perfect. I'm pretty sure that the Surface could handle streaming the HD video if MS would fix this wireless throughput limitation. Perhaps in an attempt to fix the wireless connectivity issue they are limiting the throughput or something.

  4. #4
    Senior Member magicrobots's Avatar
    Member
    #8605
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    140
    Member #
    8605
    My Device
    Pro
    Liked
    11 times
    Yeah, I had problems with my Surface and other Win 8 machine dropping my wireless networks (both at home and at work) and I found that turning channel hopping of on the router and selecting the least populated channel made a huge difference in performance. I haven't had a dropped signal yet, and throughput is good. I haven't measured, but haven't felt that it's been slow either.

  5. #5
    Junior Member Leica's Avatar
    Member
    #8636
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    9
    Member #
    8636
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bR View Post
    I tried everything with my setup and I can only get between 4-5MB/s on the Surface. This is the only performance issue I have with the Surface because it affects streaming of HD video. At first I thought the Mobile HD app was having trouble with MKV's because every once in a while my video stream stutters. Add to that I stream the audio to my external speakers through Bluetooth which makes the audio out of sync a bit (doesn't happen with standard video files). I copied the MKV local, at a slow 4-5MB/s, and the video plays perfect. I'm pretty sure that the Surface could handle streaming the HD video if MS would fix this wireless throughput limitation. Perhaps in an attempt to fix the wireless connectivity issue they are limiting the throughput or something.
    Thanks for this helpful post. So I guess that this a known limitation/problem with the Surface.

    By the way, I tried a friend's Acer W510 tablet on my network and the transfer speed was the exact same as the Surface's 4-5MB/s. The Acer W510 is a Windows 8 tablet based on the Clover Trail SoC - smaller and lighter than the Surface yet runs the full blown Windows 8!

    I have another PC, which is the Intel NUC with the Intel 6235 Wi-Fi PCI card and that gets MacBook like 15-18MB/s speeds.

    I wonder if the Surface and W510 are using only 2.4GHz?

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Mr.NK's Avatar
    Member
    #6358
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    402
    Member #
    6358
    My Device
    RT
    Liked
    46 times
    No, Surface uses 5Ghz too, but the Samsung ATIV Tab seems to be the only Arm/Atom-based-Tbalet (on Win) with a competitive wifi-speed (according to anandtech)

  7. #7
    Senior Member bosamar's Avatar
    Member
    #7485
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,469
    Member #
    7485
    My Device
    RT
    Liked
    76 times
    I get good speeds on mine.Name:  Screenshot (7).png
Views: 2006
Size:  619.6 KB
    32GB + 32GB Surface RT w/Type Cover MSI MS7778-W8P-3.4GHz-12GB DDR3-2TB HDD MSI K9N Diamond-W8P-3GHz-4GB DDR2-500GB/250GB/120GB/80GB HDD Nokia Lumia 820 WinPhone

  8. #8
    Junior Member Leica's Avatar
    Member
    #8636
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    9
    Member #
    8636
    Quote Originally Posted by bosamar View Post
    I get good speeds on mine.Name:  Screenshot (7).png
Views: 2006
Size:  619.6 KB
    You are getting bits and bytes mixed up! Note the capital (upper case) "B" = byte = 8 x "b"

  9. #9
    Senior Member bosamar's Avatar
    Member
    #7485
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,469
    Member #
    7485
    My Device
    RT
    Liked
    76 times
    I don't understand your statement. MB and Mbps aren't the same?
    32GB + 32GB Surface RT w/Type Cover MSI MS7778-W8P-3.4GHz-12GB DDR3-2TB HDD MSI K9N Diamond-W8P-3GHz-4GB DDR2-500GB/250GB/120GB/80GB HDD Nokia Lumia 820 WinPhone

  10. #10
    Junior Member Leica's Avatar
    Member
    #8636
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    9
    Member #
    8636
    Quote Originally Posted by bosamar View Post
    I don't understand your statement. MB and Mbps aren't the same?
    No. 1MB = 8Mb. Huge difference!

    Like 16 oz = 1 lb or 12"=1'

    Sadly both begin with a "b"

    Obviously Wi-Fi even at the reduced speeds of 4-5MB/s (32-40Mbps) are sufficient for most people for surfing the net. But for people like me who want to view 1080p videos stored on my server it isn't enough!

 

 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Surface has been out a few weeks - app growth is SLOW
    By mapexvenus in forum Microsoft Surface Apps
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-19-2012, 01:38 PM
  2. Apps Crashing and Slow Performance
    By jerrys30 in forum Microsoft Surface General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-30-2012, 02:56 PM

Search tags for this page

surface pro 2 slow wifi
,

surface pro slow wifi

,
surface pro slow wireless
,

surface pro wifi slow

,

surface rt slow wifi

,
surface rt wifi slow
,
surface slow wifi
,
surface wifi slow
Click on a term to search for related topics.