Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Overclocking the Surface Pro?

Member #
    My Device
    Pro
    Liked
    23 times

Overclocking the Surface Pro?

Is it possible to overclock the Surface Pro?
    Anyone tried it?

Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Why would you? It is already in a form factor where heat management is critical.

Member #
    My Device
    RT
    Liked
    76 times
    If there's a way, they will do it. Money is no obstacle.
    32GB + 32GB Surface RT w/Type Cover MSI MS7778-W8P-3.4GHz-12GB DDR3-2TB HDD MSI K9N Diamond-W8P-3GHz-4GB DDR2-500GB/250GB/120GB/80GB HDD Nokia Lumia 820 WinPhone

Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    It's ok to overclock if one will also address the heat management. Otherwise, it's a recipe for destruction.

Member #
    My Device
    Pro
    Liked
    23 times
    I was just curious 'cause I know many people like to push their gear as far as it will go. My desktop is a home built unit with an I-7 processor running at 4.24 ghz and dropping to an I-5 at only 1.7 ghz will seem slllloooooooowwwww. Good enough, sure. Most heavy use gets reserved for the desktop but ... if overclocking a bit ( not full bore all out smoke testing ) is possible then it would be something to consider.

Member #
    My Device
    RT
    Liked
    262 times
    Honestly, if you feel a tiny bit of overclocking is going to make a difference and make the Pro fast enough for you to consider, it probably isn't the right device for you. Can you overclock Intel Core i5 chips? There is nothing special about the Pro chip so you are free to do with it as you please but you will have to keep in mind its intended specifications and purposes and the risks you will take in changing that. From what you are stating this does not seem to be the device you are looking for. It will be slow compared to your desktop but it isn't a desktop or even desktop replacement so I'm not sure why you'd make that point. If you are ready for something small light and portable at the cost of all out performance then the Surface might be worth considering.
    “Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.” - Albert Einstein

Need help navigating Windows? Try here: How To: Overview, Features and Navigate Windows Mouse and Touch

Looking for apps? Try here: Windows App Stores

Member #
    My Device
    Pro
    Liked
    23 times
    Well, it won't be near as slow as my Xoom

I was just curious. I'm aware of the heat problem. I didn't know how well the 2 fans on the Pro worked. Most laptops are hot to have laying on your lap.

My desktop is water cooled to keep it from melting down
    I know it would take better cooling than just a couple of fans in order to push the processor very far.

But, knowing how geeks are, I figured somebody was probably trying it

Member #
    My Device
    RT
    Liked
    262 times
    I totally agree and somebody will try it. I hope they are ready for the potential consequences I don't think you will get far as an average tweaker though. There is already a thread talking about heavy gaming peaking the temps which in turn steps down the chips lowering performance. So the Surface is doing a good job of self regulating. Over clocking will do one of two things 1) heat up your Surface to the point it throttles back more quickly. Better if you need power in short bursts I suppose otherwise a wash. 2) If you override the settings so you stay overclocked you will burn up your Surface.

Then there are the extremist that will find a way to water cool or whatever craziness they can come up with. As a technical achievement good for them but for practicality it won't matter. Even if they develop some kind of radical in case cooling that doesn't effect portability you still have to face the fact this is a middle of the road i5 with limited RAM, not a high end i7 so it is all sort of moot in the grand scheme other than to say you did it
    “Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.” - Albert Einstein

Need help navigating Windows? Try here: How To: Overview, Features and Navigate Windows Mouse and Touch

Looking for apps? Try here: Windows App Stores

Member #
    My Device
    Pro
    The pro runs windows 8 and has an i5 processor. Google "overclock i5 windows 8" people overclock everything and these processors have been out way long enough for that.

Btw if you do this please post your results. I would like to know how far these things can be pushed before the heat destroys it.
    Surface Pro 128GB - Type Cover

Member #
    My Device
    Pro
    Liked
    23 times
    I doubt I will ever do it

I was just curious to see if anyone had done it.

However, if someone that was knowledgeable said they had bumped it to 2.4 ghz and had been running like that for 3 months ... THEN i might try it. Might. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkhell View Post
    The pro runs windows 8 and has an i5 processor. Google "overclock i5 windows 8" people overclock everything and these processors have been out way long enough for that.

Btw if you do this please post your results. I would like to know how far these things can be pushed before the heat destroys it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads