Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Reigster at Microsoft Surface Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Junior Member dreamliner's Avatar
    Member
    #11960
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    11
    Member #
    11960

    Surface Pro 2 and Chrome

    Greetings all,

    First time posting. I am considering purchasing the Surface Pro 2 (if I can ever find one) and have a question, hopefully someone can answer.

    My eyesight is beginning to get a little worse so I like to go to "personalize" and "display" and type in about 140%. This makes all icons, webpages, fonts, buttons, etc. bigger and easier to see.

    I just purchased the Yoga Pro 2, and when I made the display bigger in the above way, all my Chrome extensions were unusable. What I mean is that every extension simply blanked out, unable to display.

    When I went back to normal display dpi I could use the extensions normally, but they were teency tiny, as was the URL bar, fonts, buttons, etc. Additionally, I had already selected "Enable" in Chrome in the "High Res DPI" option.

    So I was left with either nice large readable buttons, fonts, icons, etc. but no extensions, or teency tiny (unreadable) URL bar, fonts, buttons, etc. with normal extensions. So, I returned the Yoga Pro 2.

    Now I'm considering Surface Pro 2 but wondering if I will have the same issues. Can anyone tell me if they also make the display dpi larger and if Chrome and extensions work normally?

    Thank you for any help in advance.
    Last edited by dreamliner; 11-30-2013 at 08:24 PM.

  2. #2
    Member D1vad's Avatar
    Member
    #11618
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    76
    Member #
    11618
    My Device
    Pro
    Liked
    5 times
    tell you what, I'm not a chrome user, but tell me what extension you'd like to see and i'll get you a screen shot...

  3. #3
    Junior Member dreamliner's Avatar
    Member
    #11960
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    11
    Member #
    11960
    Quote Originally Posted by D1vad View Post
    tell you what, I'm not a chrome user, but tell me what extension you'd like to see and i'll get you a screen shot...
    Wow, that is very kind of you, thank you. I use the following extensions: Google Voice, Last Pass, Push to Kindle, Neat Bookmarks, Hola Better Internet, and Yahoo Mail checker. Any of the above would be helpful.

    If you don't mind, please tell me also what DPI you are using, if you made the changes as I outlined in my first post.

    Thanks much!

  4. #4
    Member D1vad's Avatar
    Member
    #11618
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    76
    Member #
    11618
    My Device
    Pro
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    Greetings all,

    First time posting. I am considering purchasing the Surface Pro 2 (if I can ever find one) and have a question, hopefully someone can answer.

    My eyesight is beginning to get a little worse so I like to go to "personalize" and "display" and type in about 140%. This makes all icons, webpages, fonts, buttons, etc. bigger and easier to see.

    I just purchased the Yoga Pro 2, and when I made the display bigger in the above way, all my Chrome extensions were unusable. What I mean is that every extension simply blanked out, unable to display.

    When I went back to normal display dpi I could use the extensions normally, but they were teency tiny, as was the URL bar, fonts, buttons, etc. Additionally, I had already selected "Enable" in Chrome in the "High Res DPI" option.

    So I was left with either nice large readable buttons, fonts, icons, etc. but no extensions, or teency tiny (unreadable) URL bar, fonts, buttons, etc. with normal extensions. So, I returned the Yoga Pro 2.

    Now I'm considering Surface Pro 2 but wondering if I will have the same issues. Can anyone tell me if they also make the display dpi larger and if Chrome and extensions work normally?

    Thank you for any help in advance.
    Okay first some differences, (I'm running Windows 8.1 on a Surface Pro 2 running Intel graphics driver...

    Name:  Screenshot (14).png
Views: 1242
Size:  1.59 MB

    I've got my screen set for maximum size with out going to a lower resolution.

    That is what my Desktop looks like. I loaded Chrome tonight, and was offered an extension launcher for my tray. That white box right after Chrome.

    Name:  Screenshot (12).png
Views: 1138
Size:  518.6 KB

    I believe you wont have an issue with that?
    Last edited by D1vad; 11-30-2013 at 10:29 PM.

  5. #5
    Junior Member dreamliner's Avatar
    Member
    #11960
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    11
    Member #
    11960
    Can you change the "Custom sizing options" to at least 140% or 150%? I don't need the "Change the size of all items" to be "Larger" as Chrome still worked fine for me when I did that. I need to change it to "custom" and select at least 140% and then see if Chrome and its extensions work.

    Quote Originally Posted by D1vad View Post
    Okay first some differences, (I'm running Windows 8.1 on a Surface Pro 2 running Intel graphics driver...

    Name:  Screenshot (14).png
Views: 1242
Size:  1.59 MB

    I've got my screen set for maximum size with out going to a lower resolution.

    That is what my Desktop looks like. I loaded Chrome tonight, and was offered an extension launcher for my tray.

    Name:  Screenshot (12).png
Views: 1138
Size:  518.6 KB

    I believe you wont have an issue with that?

  6. #6
    Member D1vad's Avatar
    Member
    #11618
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    76
    Member #
    11618
    My Device
    Pro
    Liked
    5 times
    Sorry but my Surface Pro 2 doesn't appear to have a page where one can adjust the DPI. The closest I can come to that is the first screen shot I posted above where it is on "Recommended" there are two other options besides recommended that make everything smaller.

    Name:  Screenshot (16).png
Views: 1073
Size:  2.04 MB

    and

    Name:  Screenshot (15).png
Views: 1066
Size:  2.02 MB

    Perhaps someone with different drivers or who is smarter than me can share here if they have the DPI setting. Sorry..

  7. #7
    Senior Member Name Taken's Avatar
    Member
    #10837
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    183
    Member #
    10837
    Liked
    26 times
    You need to select "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" to set a custom sizing.


  8. #8
    Junior Member dreamliner's Avatar
    Member
    #11960
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    11
    Member #
    11960
    Yes, that's it, exactly. Now select 150% and see how your extensions look in Chrome.

    Quote Originally Posted by Name Taken View Post
    You need to select "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" to set a custom sizing.


  9. #9
    Member D1vad's Avatar
    Member
    #11618
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    76
    Member #
    11618
    My Device
    Pro
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Name Taken View Post
    You need to select "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" to set a custom sizing.

    I take it you are running the Microsoft Graphic drivers?

    I see this;

    Name:  Screenshot (17).png
Views: 1078
Size:  1.36 MB

    and mine will only accept these values,

    Name:  Screenshot (18).png
Views: 1017
Size:  186.8 KB
    Last edited by D1vad; 12-01-2013 at 09:33 AM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Name Taken's Avatar
    Member
    #10837
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    183
    Member #
    10837
    Liked
    26 times
    You then press "Custom sizing options".


 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Modern chrome on Surface 2?
    By anonimity in forum Microsoft Surface Apps
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-18-2013, 01:35 PM
  2. Pinch to zoom and more gestures on Chrome
    By Dahnark in forum Microsoft Surface Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-05-2013, 10:43 AM
  3. did anyone get the Chrome os metro app to work
    By macmee in forum Microsoft Surface Apps
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-26-2013, 12:12 PM
  4. Problems with Google Chrome
    By kayzee in forum Microsoft Surface Apps
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-10-2013, 07:56 AM
  5. copy and paste in chrome
    By thirst in forum Microsoft Surface Pro
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2013, 09:53 AM

Search tags for this page

chrome cast surface pro
,

chrome for surface pro 2

,

chrome on surface pro 2

,

chrome surface pro 2

,

google chrome for surface pro 2

,
google chrome surface pro 2
,

surface pro 2 chrome

,

surface pro 2 google chrome

Click on a term to search for related topics.