What's new

"0% and not charging"

TK-DKC

Hi all,
After a period of weirdness described in another thread, Battery 2 finally got stuck on "0% and not charging".
I tried following the steps in Microsoft's troubleshooter to no avail.
Is there anything else I should try, or will I have to have it replaced (again)?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Plantje

My SP2017 had this as well last few weeks. Up until a point where I wasn't able to take notes during a meeting. This is an issue that lives for years. How come, it cannot be fixed?

OP
T

TK-DKC

It got worse. While working on battery (power not connected), the laptop shut off, and now I'm seeing this.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    158.7 KB · Views: 1,272
OP
T

TK-DKC

It gets weirder. I had left my laptop with the charger connected since Thursday, and now Battery 1 has charged. Now, however, the machine will occasionally drain that battery instead of taking power from the adapter despite reporting being plugged in...
I'll try with another adapter when I go to work tomorrow.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    160.3 KB · Views: 985

chekhonte

Well, battery one is in the keyboard section and battery two is in the display section. Look in both charging ports to make sure that the magnets inside haven't picked up a small metal filing or other debris. I had a similar problem and cleaning out the ports worked for me.

I would also turn the screen around to see if it starts charging then.

Also, what version of windows 10 are you running? Didn't they take away the performance slider over a year ago?

MickeyLittle

Crazy idea but has fixed a copy of other laptop issues over the years.
  1. Unplug the Charger
  2. Run your Surface Book until the battery drains and powers down
  3. Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds to any discharge out
  4. Plug Charger in and see if that fixed it

chekhonte

I run 1809 and it still has the slider
Oh cool! I'm glad you brought this to my attention. Apparently, it's a bug for me. If your win 10 machine is set to high battery performance the slider disappears from your battery settings tab. I'm so glad that I was able to bring it back!

Ian Witts

Just in case it's useful, my SurfaceBook 2 stopped charging which was always done via the Surface Dock. I have no idea why this might be, but flashing the firmware (on the Surface Dock) to the latest version resolved the issue and it started charging again.

HOWEVER, a side-effect is that any USB headset that is connected whist the laptop is docked with have intermittent microphone issues. Actual sound playback is fine.