What's new

10% student discounts on preorder

kristalsoldier

Although unconfirmed by myself, you don't need an edu e-mail and there is no verification at least immediately. I think once you sign up for the "educational" part by being in your account, I've read they verify yearly if your still educational. All you do is select the state and city for the school, then select the school. And volia discounted prices @ checkout.

That being said, Microsoft stores offer the same discount, and do not even check ID. I get the feeling its very laxed.

Everything above is heresay, and I have no source or proof of otherwise. With that in mind, my brother is an educator, and I've bought him this as a gift. :p

Well, in that case international students and/ or educators can only avail of this in their home country and not internationally, I guess.

Klownicle

Well, in that case international students and/ or educators can only avail of this in their home country and not internationally, I guess.

You can call them for further verification if your school isn't listed. They also have a International ID standard they follow... or something like that.

kristalsoldier

You can call them for further verification if your school isn't listed. They also have a International ID standard they follow... or something like that.

I was actually planning on going to the MS retail store in Toronto on June 20th - the day I arrive at Toronto! (I just hope they have it in stock on that day - and in enough numbers!!! This is the only time that I am thankful/ hopeful that the SP3 is not as "hot" as the iPad!!!!!!

Klownicle

What about folks who are "thinking" about returning to study? ;-P

Lets say you order and your not a student, the worst that can happen is they bill you the difference. As that what it says in the ToS. I'm not too worried myself.

Saul

But how does one get past the checks, I don't have any friends/fam. with student email addy's, nor anyone who can order on my behalf over the ph.
It's been easier to get so-called "student discounts" whenever I've ordered my Apple gear...

Klownicle

But how does one get past the checks, I don't have any friends/fam. with student email addy's, nor anyone who can order on my behalf over the ph.
It's been easier to get so-called "student discounts" whenever I've ordered my Apple gear...

Well first off, .edu addresses aren't that had to come by.

Secondly, Its only $100, if your on the fence about $100, then you shouldn't be buying in the first place. Take a risk if your worried about the verification process, and reap the benefit if it works.

Although checks are "stated", I haven't seen any concrete evidence that says otherwise. All I've seen is a Microsoft Store Retail rep, giving someone a Student Discount with no checks.

Saul

From what I recall verification's quite a bit more than just an edu address.
But if you say you haven't seen it applied "in practice" at all, well, then perhaps I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Diff. regions can be diff, I'm in Australia, I'll see how I go...

Cheers.

scottysize

So the 10% discount prompted you to buy the premium model? Lol
Nope. I was looking at the top of the line, because if I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do it big. I was on the fence about buying it, not about which model. I do want to be able to game on it, though that will not be it's primary use since I still have a gaming rig. There's nothing up-gradable down the line, so go all out to begin with. That's my motto. I just hope it lasts 5 years. If so, then I'll get my money back out of it. If it's a typical 1-2 year POS as most Laptops designed to run MS are, then I'll be switching back to Apple.