What's new

128 GB Drive - brand?

OP
B

BChat

From the look of your avatar you seem more than capable of handling any problem that might arise. It is obvious that you are not going to act without giving it some serious thought. :)Furthermore the forum members here will make every effort to make your experience with your new SP3 a positive one. Welcome to the forum.
The avatar is my baby picture...I've change a wee bit since then, no doubt I'll find the help I need here, thanks for the "welcome"

OP
B

BChat

The Pro 3 is now with me - has the Samsung SSD 128 G - MZMTE128HMGR - 000MV - ran ATTO benchmark - nice uniform results top to bottom. Reads are right up with my desktop - 545354 MB/sec top end - writes are much lover - 123418 MB/sec.
So far life is good in the land of the Pro 3 - thanks to all of you.

olimjj

The Pro 3 is now with me - has the Samsung SSD 128 G - MZMTE128HMGR - 000MV - ran ATTO benchmark - nice uniform results top to bottom. Reads are right up with my desktop - 545354 MB/sec top end - writes are much lover - 123418 MB/sec.
So far life is good in the land of the Pro 3 - thanks to all of you.
Welcome news.
There is a Samsung firmware available for your unit. You can find it here:

http://microsoft-news.com/samsung-r...surface-pro-3-devices-to-improve-performance/

Your unit might already have the newest Firmware installed. It will not install if you have it.
I believe there is also another one on the way.

OP
B

BChat

D/L the file and it is installing now - had to do this with Samsung EVO drives awhile back too. Thanks for the heads up - will run ATTO again to see if any difference.

9% improvement in write after updating....every little bit helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

olimjj

I believe the main purpose of the firmware was to restore original performance benchmarks, which had badly degraded over time, and to hopefully prevent reoccurrence of this phenomenon. The additional boosts are a bonus, especially to the write speeds

OP
B

BChat

I believe the main purpose of the firmware was to restore original performance benchmarks, which had badly degraded over time, and to hopefully prevent reoccurrence of this phenomenon. The additional boosts are a bonus, especially to the write speeds
You are 100% correct about the purpose of the firmware - EVOs had the issues and in some cases I believe they still do.
For my money the Samsung 850 Pro is the best SSD, gave me the best bench marks I've ever gotten. Have 2 in desktop for OSs.

olimjj

Have you downloaded and installed all of your SP3's updates and firmware yet, or do you intend to make a backup first?

OP
B

BChat

1st thing I did was grab all Windows updates - then installed Off '13 and got all those updates - 126 total - so far!

olimjj

Great. You have probably read this before: but full charge and power connected is highly recommended when downloading and applying updates, especially firmware. In addition manual updates, are my preference. I like to have control of the process.

OP
B

BChat

With you on both counts - lots of power under my control...:)