What's new

128GB MicroSD card keeps unmounting/crashing

BlueC7

Maybe the Surface 3 can't handle cards that are UHS-1 and have read transfer rates as high as 80MBs? Maybe the cards flake out with the device due to that? Speculation... But the Lexar is higher read speed than your current one(Sandisk), which is like what, 30MB/s file transfer speeds?

See my posts on page 1 of this thread. I have the SanDisk 128gb Ultra Class 10 UHS-I MicroSD. Theoretically it's not as fast at the Lexar (which is why I ordered the Lexar to begin with), but I haven't noticed any practical limitation with it. I've watched HD video from my DSLR without problem, MKV encoded BluRay files, etc. Works fine, no glitches.

Don

BlueC7

Well, update here concerning the Lexar card:

I stuck it into my android phone and tried to format. Android did it in exFAT (removed the NTFS)

I then put the card into my Surface 3 and formatted again the card into exFAT with the default settings.

Now the card isn't dismounting. Currently I'm playing music non stop while at the same time copying
a slew of video files over to the card via homegroup network.

I don't know if things are worked out now, but before doing this, I couldn't get through playing 1 song without the card unmounting.

Keeping fingers crossed. I kinda want NTFS though, for the encryption(?)

I have a Surface 3 and Lexar 633x microSDHC 128GB:

It randomly disconnects...

• On Win 8.1 and Win 10, didn't matter
  • Formatted in both FAT and NTFS, didn't matter
  • Tried to modify to keep better contact with pins, didn't matter
  • Reformatted a few times, didn't matter
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers to be Generic USB, didn't matter
  • Changed options under policy to 'Better Performance', didn't matter
I'm wondering if anyone is having no issues with this card?

It's either the card or the device. It's hard to believe it's the card, as others have had the same issues with different cards, thus this seems rather weird.

Anyone find a solution to this?

DLCPhoto

Well, update here concerning the Lexar card:

I stuck it into my android phone and tried to format. Android did it in exFAT (removed the NTFS)

I then put the card into my Surface 3 and formatted again the card into exFAT with the default settings.

Now the card isn't dismounting. Currently I'm playing music non stop while at the same time copying
a slew of video files over to the card via homegroup network.

I don't know if things are worked out now, but before doing this, I couldn't get through playing 1 song without the card unmounting.

Keeping fingers crossed. I kinda want NTFS though, for the encryption(?)

That's encouraging news and I hope it sticks! I had tried some formatting changes with my Lexar (it's been a while, don't recall specifics) but it didn't help mine.

As others have suggested I also think it's a driver issue but who knows.

kitenski

Evening all, Just ordered a s3, are there any recommended 128gh cards that will work ok? Will have a lookout with the forthcoming sales.

kitenski

Thanks, I can get this one at a good price, I'll give it a try

SanDisk Ultra Android 128 GB microSDXC Memory Card plus SD Adapter up to 80 MB/s, Class 10 FFP [Newest Version]

DALEcz

Thanks, I can get this one at a good price, I'll give it a try

SanDisk Ultra Android 128 GB microSDXC Memory Card plus SD Adapter up to 80 MB/s, Class 10 FFP [Newest Version]

Is it the SDSQUNC-128G-GN6IA ? Do you have it already? Any issues?
I am also going to buy a new card - my old one 64GB A-data is doing exactly what you guys describe - unmounting at random times (sometimes working a whole day, sometimes 5 min...). I tried formating, different drivers, different settings etc. and nothing helped. In my android phone and other laptop it works flawlessly, so I think it is some reader-card issues and I hope I will be also able to find a card that works for me (hopefully nothing wrong with the reader in S3)

Btw. BlueC7 - still no issues? It is strange that formatting in a phone would help even though you re-formatted it again in S3....

jcgc

Just joined here. I purchased a Surface 3 running Win 10 just a couple of weeks ago. Picked up a Samsung Evo 128gb card and am having the same problem described here.

Have tried the tape, changing the policies setting in device manager changed formating from exFat to NTSF with no luck.

Will take the card back and try a Samsung and see what happens.