What's new

Solved 2 Questions

2 questions:

1. How can I receive visual notifications when mail arrives (using built-in Win 8.1 mail app)? The icon does not show new mail nor does the system show a temporary flag of new arrival. Notification is enabled in the settings section

2. Using the SP3 dock, is it possible to use 1 mini display port to HDMI to a HDMI monitor and then connect the first monitor to a second identical monitor using DVI (monitor only has one HDMI port)? Intention is to extend the display to run multiple windows with different content on each monitor.

Thank you.

Pete

Nuspieds

2 questions:

1. How can I receive visual notifications when mail arrives (using built-in Win 8.1 mail app)? The icon does not show new mail nor does the system show a temporary flag of new arrival. Notification is enabled in the settings section

2. Using the SP3 dock, is it possible to use 1 mini display port to HDMI to a HDMI monitor and then connect the first monitor to a second identical monitor using DVI (monitor only has one HDMI port)? Intention is to extend the display to run multiple windows with different content on each monitor.

Thank you.

Pete
Hi Pete,

1) I get notifications all the time, including on the lock screen; my email is on Office 365.

2) If I understand you correctly, you are attempting to have 2 external HDMI-connected monitors, both an extension of your SP3 monitor, so 3 monitors in total from your single mini DisplayPort output from the SP3. If my understanding is correct, then you need a DisplayPort 1.2 monitor in order to daisy-chain. Only the first and intermediary monitors must be DP 1.2-compliant (i.e., they have DP input and DP output); the very last node in the chain can be DP 1.1 (i.e., DP input only) without any issues.

OP
D

doublestack1

Thank you.

As for number 1, I am using Gmail. Lock screen will show notification but if I am working with another app and a Gmail comes in, there is no indication / notification unless I check the mail app.

I appreciate your help with my second question. MS support wrongly advised me so I again thank you for saving me the trouble of buying the wrong monitors. Their answer didn't sit right with me which led me to the forum. Another member mentioned he uses two Dell monitors with displayports for daily chaining. I will look into buying those.

Nuspieds

Thank you.

As for number 1, I am using Gmail. Lock screen will show notification but if I am working with another app and a Gmail comes in, there is no indication / notification unless I check the mail app.

I appreciate your help with my second question. MS support wrongly advised me so I again thank you for saving me the trouble of buying the wrong monitors. Their answer didn't sit right with me which led me to the forum. Another member mentioned he uses two Dell monitors with displayports for daily chaining. I will look into buying those.
You're very welcome.

In the Mail app, do you have your account setting configured to notify for all emails? It's in Charms Menu > Settings > Account > (account) > Show email notifications dropdown list (set it to "All emails"). For some odd reason, Microsoft defaults that to "Favorites."

I have Dells as well and, by default, the DP 1.2 mode is disabled, so you will have to enable it after setup.

malberttoo

...is it possible to use 1 mini display port to HDMI to a HDMI monitor and then connect the first monitor to a second identical monitor using DVI (monitor only has one HDMI port)? Intention is to extend the display to run multiple windows with different content on each monitor.

Hi,

You can of course have different content on different monitors, regardless of the connection type that you use.

But you are describing daisy-chaining, and I believe that DisplayPort is the only protocol that supports daisy-chaining. You would go from the dock to the first monitor, then from the first monitor to the second.

I prefer DisplayPort to anything else on my SP3.

OP
D

doublestack1

Michael,

Thank you. I ordered the two Dell monitors with dual display port to make a neat connection for both monitors. I am a little nervous after reading a few posts about bad docking stations. If mine is defective, I will probably not know what is causing issues during initial setup.

According to Amazon, the SP3 dock is the number one selling docking station on their site so hopefully I have a good one.

ptrkhh

Also consider getting an MST hub (also known as DisplayPort splitter, but MAKE SURE it supports MST). What it does is basically, it splits the DP port into 3 separate DP ports, kinda like whats happening inside a daisy-chain-able monitor. After that, you can use adapters to connect any kind of monitor to the DP ports on the MST hub.

OP
D

doublestack1

So it seems that my SP3 dock is working properly with one monitor set to DP 1.2. I am waiting for a DP to DP 1.2 cable to arrive in the mail today so I can test the two monitor setup without a hub. The Dell monitors I purchased have a DP out so my fingers are crossed that they play nice with my setup.

I used the mini DP to DP cable that came with the monitor (Dock out to monitor in). Will connect DP out to DP in on the second unit and will report back.

Also I was able to get the mail notifications working. Thanks again for your help. Love this forum.

Pete

OP
D

doublestack1

So I connected my second Dell monitor to the first using a displayport to displayport mini cable. After fiddling with the settings for a while I was able to set up the monitors extending 2 - 3 with the SP3 screen off. Works great. The issue I am having is I need to fiddle each time I dock my SP3. For some reason the second Dell won't work unless I go back into settings and setup extending 2-3. I apply the settings and then click ok.

Any tips to make this process easier?

Pete

Nuspieds

So I connected my second Dell monitor to the first using a displayport to displayport mini cable. After fiddling with the settings for a while I was able to set up the monitors extending 2 - 3 with the SP3 screen off. Works great. The issue I am having is I need to fiddle each time I dock my SP3. For some reason the second Dell won't work unless I go back into settings and setup extending 2-3. I apply the settings and then click ok.

Any tips to make this process easier?

Pete
I have an SP2 and am using a USB 3.0 hub, so I can't comment on when using the dock.

With my hub, though, Windows remembers everything when I reconnect so I never have to fiddle. But in your case, when you dock, you extend only to Monitor #2, so what does #3 display?

OP
D

doublestack1

I have an SP2 and am using a USB 3.0 hub, so I can't comment on when using the dock.

With my hub, though, Windows remembers everything when I reconnect so I never have to fiddle. But in your case, when you dock, you extend only to Monitor #2, so what does #3 display?

I extend monitor 2 and 3 and leave the SP3 screen off. I am still having the problem of having to power cycle the monitors when waking up the SP3. For some reason, the dock does not tell the monitors there is a signal (or something like that).

Other wise Windows has started to remember the settings after undock / redock.