What's new

2013 battery driver?

stammie

Same here, I've tried with Windows Hello disabled, wifi off, all background apps off and still its draining about 7% per hour in sleep mode.
For now I've set my SP4 to hibernate after 30 minutes of sleep, I may try a completely fresh install of Windows 10 at some stage but I've done enough faffing around with this rather than actually using it so am gonna see if anyone comes up with a definitive fix or MS themselves manage to come up with a solution.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same here, I've tried with Windows Hello disabled, wifi off, all background apps off and still its draining about 7% per hour in sleep mode.
For now I've set my SP4 to hibernate after 30 minutes of sleep, I may try a completely fresh install of Windows 10 at some stage but I've done enough faffing around with this rather than actually using it so am gonna see if anyone comes up with a definitive fix or MS themselves manage to come up with a solution.
The art of managing customer experience/satisfaction; Keep them sullen but not belligerent. ;)

If they are happy they wont upgrade.
If they are angry they wont upgrade.
If they want more they will upgrade.
Never give them exactly what they want, you'll never see them again.

Last edited:
OP
P

Peacy

Im just going to start shutting mine down on a night till they sort it.

The art of managing customer experience/satisfaction; Keep them sullen but not belligerent. ;)

If they are happy they wont upgrade.
If they are angry they wont upgrade.
If they want more they will upgrade.
Never give them exactly what they want, you'll never see them again.

Very true that is.

The power drain too right now is blowing my mind. After a complete reset, and nothing else installed, all notifications turned off, background apps turned off, etc, my last 5 CS sessions are consistent. GPU 16% and CPU 12%, averaging about 3.5% drain per hour.

START TIME DURATION ENERGY CHANGE CHANGE RATE % LOW POWER STATE TIME
1 2015-11-14 11:02:08 1:43:12 2,189 mWh 6% of battery 1,274 mW Drain 0% HW: -
2 14:06:05 1:11:15 1,409 mWh 4% of battery 1,188 mW Drain 0% HW: -
3 17:01:48 2:00:05 2,638 mWh 7% of battery 1,319 mW Drain (dozed to hibernate) 0% HW: -
4 22:40:44 1:23:33 2,077 mWh 5% of battery 1,493 mW Drain 0% HW: -
5 2015-11-15 00:49:17 2:00:05 2,624 mWh 7% of battery 1,312 mW Drain (dozed to hibernate) 0% HW: -

Top Offenders
Top 5 offenders, ranked by active time
NAME TYPE % ACTIVE TIME ACTIVE TIME
Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 (\_SB.PCI0.GFX0) Fx Device 16% 0:19:19
CPU C0 Time Processor 12% 0:14:07

OP
P

Peacy

Yours is very similar to mine, im getting about 10% drain per hour though.

Hopefully Microsoft address this soon, frustrating none the less.

unless somebody has some other potential solutions we can try?

Yours is very similar to mine, im getting about 10% drain per hour though.

Hopefully Microsoft address this soon, frustrating none the less.

unless somebody has some other potential solutions we can try?

Does your device ever spend anytime in DRIPS? My histogram is always empty.

Update. I uninstalled the display adapter and associated driver software. So it's using version 10.18.15.4256 dated 7/17/2015. In this case, the last 2 CS sessions, the rate is around 580 mWh. Again, consistent numbers between the sessions. Now it's 7% graphics, and 2% cpu. This number is consistent with what I saw when I first got the device (drop of about 1% per hour).

Because I uinstalled the adapter/driver, it tells me the 11/2 firmware update is available. I'm going to reinstall that and see what happens .. or F* it, maybe I should just use hibernate ...

OP
P

Peacy

Ive just run powercfg -energy and get this in the results

CPU Utilisation:processor utilisation is high
The average processor utilisation during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilisation is very low. Review processor utilisation for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilisation.
Average Utilisation (%) 6.21

USB Suspend:USB Device Rarely Entering Selective Suspend
This device intermittently entered the USB Selective Suspend state during the trace. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.
Device Name USB Input Device
Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9D2F
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 20, function 0
Device ID USB\VID_045E&PID_07E8
Port Path 7
Time Suspended (%) 45

anybody shed any light on this for me or how to fix it?