What's new

30 day is all it took to break the glass

note3

[QUOTE="That is pretty reassuring to see.[/QUOTE]
No it's not. This video is a show, not more.

Look at the shoe, it is very flat and has no much mass. This kind of pressure is not the problem.
The glass is tempered glass and a hole near to the boundary is a constructional error (as I said before).
We should avoid punctual bending-stresses near this hole. People with a small budget should take
the Microsoft-Complete-Extended-Service.

On the web page for the SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/de-de/products/surface-pro-2
I found this line in the data table:
“ … Screen … robust(es) display”.
I can not find this line in the table for the SP3 and that's why I'm concerned, although I will buy it, but with Microsoft-Complete-Extended-Service.

I think this service will also be available after the 28. of this month in australia.

Greetings from .de

Kif

I think it's premature to say the SP3 is more susceptible to getting a broken screen then other devices. So far only a couple people have reported this issue. We need a few more data points before we can call it a trend.

James Grant

IMG_20140823_144216.jpg

Just so everyone knows, this seems to be a trend now. I am Super upset a this, because the other Surface I have had don't have the Dang HOLE. All I did was pick this up just as the original poster said. I do this ever single day, and I actually use the device as my normal device now, and my Laptop is turned off, but now I have to carry a laptop again! This is defiantly a design FLAW and should have been covered under the warranty. Here is the crazy thing, I had the keyboard cover on when I picked it up, and its not like I grabbed it with force or anything. It was right next to me, and i picked it up to actually watch a TV show LOL! When I heard it happen I just about cried, because it took me so long to save up for this device. Now they want 300 bucks, and I just don't have the money. I think Microsoft should include this type of thing in their standard warranty as its a Design FLAW. Here is the other thing, it started Super SMALL, and literally grew overnight to cover the whole screen. Such a bummer!

grumpy

I think it's premature to say the SP3 is more susceptible to getting a broken screen then other devices. So far only a couple people have reported this issue. We need a few more data points before we can call it a trend.
True, but I am fairly confident in saying that the SP3 is more susceptible to getting broken glass than the SP2.

malberttoo

Who did you talk to at Microsoft? I would be getting the highest person on the flagpole that I could and point them to this thread. Threaten to shame them on Twitter, small claims court, whatever. It's obviously not just you having the issue.

Liam2349

Alright that's it, I just went on live chat and apparently Microsoft offers Complete in the UK and unfortunately it looks like I'll have to get it.

I use my Pro 2 daily and I don't want this crap happening to my Pro 3.

What's the deductible on replacements?

Len J

Alright that's it, I just went on live chat and apparently Microsoft offers Complete in the UK and unfortunately it looks like I'll have to get it.

I use my Pro 2 daily and I don't want this crap happening to my Pro 3.

What's the deductible on replacements?

Its $49.00 USD in the us per replacement.

Len

Dies

Another one here. Picked it up at the spot where the microphone hole is drilled. It lay with its long side -with the microphone hole- about 3 cm over the edge of the table. Crack.
Microsoft declares it a "total loss" and says "A fall or a bump has occurred" and "You might feel completely innocent and there may be no visible traces on the product, however, a technician at the authorised service centre has found technical traces that leave no doubt about the cause of the damage." So not covered by the warranty.
Had it for 6 weeks. Changed my work. Back to printing now.

note3

Can you make a thumbnail sketch for us, showing more or less the exact position of your fingers and where the SP3 was supported during the break (or did you hold it without a contact to the table?).

Was the device cold or somewhere hot?