What's new

30 Day Return Policy... - Calendar Reminder Has Been Set

mtalinm

I set a 13-day countdown as I bought at Best Buy.

I'll almost certainly return this i5/256 model b/c I really need more disk space. And I'd rather buy from MSFT. But it is pretty great so far.

Biggest grip is the pen holder. SP2 was better with a pen loop + magnetic.

Ph33zy

Does the Microsoft store give you a full refund on returning the type cover even though it's been open and the pen loop has been applied to the keyboard?

I got the cyan kb but was thinking of exchanging it for another color.

rbpyle

My calendar date has been set also. The WiFi connectivity issues are driving me crazy. I posted a summary in another thread started. And, I also got a surface flex mouse is also in question due to it uncomfortable holding and it also suffers from Bluetooth connectivity problems (via the WiFi plagued Marvell chipset). It is a great idea this SP3, but wow I am surprised it is shipping with such serious connectivity issues, especially since these issues were all hit before.

bamaster

Mine went back today. i5/256, Type Cover and Complete warranty.

They gave me a small postcard piece of paper with a survey asking why I'm returning it. I gave three reasons. First, I felt that it was a little top heavy. I've had it fall over when typing in my bed, it just seems unstable in some situations. Second, didn't enjoy the typing experience. When propped up the keyboard had too much bounce and was very noisy/clackety. Third, I wanted a system with High Profile settings. The cpu throttling is probably necessary to prevent overheating and to extend battery, I get it But I'm convinced my SP2 performed better because I was able to max out the settings.

I'm eager to see what ultrabook manufacturers come out with for Broadwell. My primary device is a 2nd gen X1 Carbon (i7/8/256) and it's a great performer but the battery life isn't anything to brag about. Broadwell should help with battery and graphics, both are important to me. After a few months with this Lenovo keyboard, though, I don't think I can ever consider a Surface again. Lenovo's typing experience is just that much better.

Things I hope Surface Pro 4 will have:
1. A keyboard that can compete with proper laptops. I'll accept extra weight for usability. Maybe something like the Lenovo Helix (great idea, poor execution)
2. Fingerprint reader. I never considered this until I get the X1 Carbon. Great way of managing passwords.
3. Better temperature management. Fanless? Don't know, but the SP3 got too darn hot.
4. Extra USB port. I use a Logitech MX Anywhere mouse that has a dongle. I refuse to use Bluetooth. Please add a second port.
5. Return of the Power Profiles. I'd rather have that than Connected Standby features.

May all your children be born naked.

cdf3

I set a 13-day countdown as I bought at Best Buy.

I'll almost certainly return this i5/256 model b/c I really need more disk space. And I'd rather buy from MSFT. But it is pretty great so far.

Biggest grip is the pen holder. SP2 was better with a pen loop + magnetic.

Well for sure Square Trade generally gets great reviews. But I wonder how they actually deal with devices, like the Surface, that were never intended to be taken apart and thus declared by iFixIt to be "unrepairable"?

I'm able to attach the pen on my Surface Pro 3 magnetically to the charging port, similar to how I'm able to do on my Surface Pro 2. It's good enough for those times when I'm stationary, and needing a place to temporarily store the pen. When I'm mobile, I place it in the loop. Even with my Surface Pro 2, I don't really walk around with it attached in fear it will fall off.

mtalinm

Well I took mine back to BB today. Although I didn't have as many WiFi problems as others, I was still frustrated by

* battery life woefully short of the promised 9 hours. Maybe 5-6.
* fan firing up when I am running not intensive stuff like Outlook and Word. SP2 fan only came on when trying to drive multiple monitors
* lots of random keyboard dropouts and screen unresponsiveness. Rebooted a lot.
* crummy pen holder, much prefer SP2 with pen loop + magnetic hold.

I'm hopeful they can fix a couple of those, but the battery thing may have to wait on Broadwell

godson594

Like I said in another thread - I returned mine and so did my co-worker. As much as I love the screen and the weight, I don't have time or energy to deal with the nightmare I had with my SP2... so who knows, maybe i'll be back for the sp4 :D

There were too many issues in my first week of ownership to make me want to gamble being stuck with it.

tuchas

It's one thing that we're all "early adopters". It's another that we have to deal with all of these ridiculous issues. Most of us here are pretty computer savvy - imagine those consumers that have to deal with this nonsense that have no idea what they are in for. Thankfully there are forums like this one, but not everyone is experienced enough to even look for information on these issues.

I'm not returning my SP3. I'm sure these issues will be solved, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating. Still, the unit has been more of a blessing - and I haven't touched my iPad OR MacBook Pro since June 20th. I hope MS addresses these problems in the next update for their benefit as well as ours.