What's new

32-bit or 64-bit Office

OP
bertopl

bertopl

well, too late. I finally got one of my 2010 licenses upgraded to 2013 through microsoft's free offer. that was a nightmare with the software vendor that I bought 2010 from but that's a whole different story. they did stand behind me though and after paying for a 2-license office 2010, I now have 1-license on 2013 and 3-licenses on 2010 for my troubles!! :) anyways, the free upgrade reiterated what many have said here and microsoft themselves STRONGLY recommended the 32-bit install during the process so that's what I did. Everything works great and really have to agree with everyone recommending 2013's interface over 2010. I'm a happy camper!!

OP
bertopl

bertopl

btw, I am just overwhelmed by going through all of outlooks options!! I can't imagine many people even know how to set the zillions of options available there and all the other office apps!!

machistmo

Most of the civilized world runs on X86 Office. Its just easier that way. When MS says don't use 64 unless you must, I translate that into "64bit Office? RUN AWAY - FLEE". Couple that with the "Too many devices syncing with this account" error generated in Outlook 2013 simply because you use a HOTMAIL account still not being fixed? Ill go with known working software. I personally like the Microsoft Rep. on the forums that suggested I limit my account to 50 or fewer folders and only 3 devices to get the problem resolved. No, you just can't make stuff like that up. 3 devices and 50 folders were too much for 2013, at least until MS owned up to the bug, and only after they were fairly certain they had a fix for it. That fix should be released in a few days. Not holding my breath. /rant

Last edited:
OP
bertopl

bertopl

Microsoft or some dude at the store you talked to?

the free upgrade involved logging into a "my office" account to download the installer. the last step when choosing which install type to download contained text that recommended the 32-bit. I suspect from this thread that both work pretty well on the SP.

leeshor

I can't link to one but many of the reviews I read said that the main problem with 64-bit Office w as that it performed noticeably slower than the 32-bit. I had both installed on identical systems in my office and confirmed that is the case. As hard as that may be to believe.

Cowboy

nobody needs office x64 unless you analyze huge amounts of data. Microsoft will even tell you to install office x86. plus, if you happen to use some add-ins, it's hit and miss if they'll work in office x64.

I totally agree! UNLESS you have HUGE files there is no advantage to the 64 bit version and I think that it uses more memory by default which could affect you if you have multiple programs running.