What's new

3DMarks Scores of Surface Pro 3 Models (i3/i5/i7)

ctitanic

Interesting opinion but if you're trying to increase the acceptance of the platform you want to target a wider audience not the few users that already bought in especially on a short product cycle. The people that don't care about a Lighter and Thinner tablet can continue to consume the SP2 while the larger majority of people that wont consider the SP2 are more likely to be attracted to the SP3. It's not all about you.
Totally agree with you. So far there are bigger issues that affect more users than those affected because of "poor gaming" performance.

grumpy

No. I just pointing to a fact. Try Microsoft Sudoku. That's my example of bad coding making the Surface to run hot.
It is intellectually dishonest to imply that the SP3's issues are due to "bad" software.

And you are wrong on this. It has been proven that it's not the CPU heat the one causing the issue.
Just not true (see XTU stress tests). The issue is due to the inadequate cooling solution unable to sufficiently cool the CPU.

grumpy

Interesting opinion but if you're trying to increase the acceptance of the platform you want to target a wider audience not the few users that already bought in especially on a short product cycle.
And what MS has done is actually limit the appeal by hobbling the performance
It's not all about you.
Nor you... Just because your usage does not exceed the capabilities of an iPad does not mean that other users would not actually appreciate the added performance.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
And what MS has done is actually limit the appeal by hobbling the performance

Nor you... Just because your usage does not exceed the capabilities of an iPad does not mean that other users would not actually appreciate the added performance.
Now who's being intellectually dishonest... yeah, that'd be you. Even throttled the SP3 smokes the performance of an iPad (and every other Arm based tablet on the market) not to mention vastly exceeds the functionality. Benchmarks prove that without any question. See the Anandtech review. Done.

ctitanic

It is intellectually dishonest to imply that the SP3's issues are due to "bad" software..
I did not imply anything. I just pointed to the fact that bad coded software can in some occasions cause overheating. And I gave you an example.

Just not true (see XTU stress tests). The issue is due to the inadequate cooling solution unable to sufficiently cool the CPU.

Well, you are free to think whatever please you. I think that the problem is not the CPU temperature.

ctitanic

By other users you mean "gamers"? Thanks God MS is not counting on them to make any profit on the Surface. And thanks God that Enterprise users are the majority and it seems that they do not have "performance" issues.

bluegrass

The heart of the SP3's problems are an inadequate cooling solution brought about by MS's ill-fated desire to chase the iPad form factor.

no one would have been bothered by an extra 3mm QUOTE]

Do you think with an extra 3mm, they could have designed the SP3 to not have any temperature problem? I'm curious, what Surface model or models do you own?

grumpy

Now who's being intellectually dishonest... yeah, that'd be you. Even throttled the SP3 smokes the performance of an iPad (and every other Arm based tablet on the market) not to mention vastly exceeds the functionality. Benchmarks prove that without any question. See the Anandtech review. Done.
I never said that the SP3 does not outperform the iPad. What I did say is that many who have bought into the SP3 would likely have their needs met by an IOS or Android device. Those users, of course, have no use for extra performance.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never said that the SP3 does not outperform the iPad. What I did say is that many who have bought into the SP3 would likely have their needs met by an IOS or Android device. Those users, of course, have no use for extra performance.
And you would still be wrong.

ctitanic

Did I say "gamers"? By other user, I meant anyone who requires sustained CPU performance...:rolleyes:..

Who are those other users and what software they are using? I'm an IT professional and have not found any software that have made me feel the need of more power.

Unfortunately, what I think is supported by evidence whereas your opinions - not so much..

http://www.surfaceforums.net/thread...n-the-reason-for-throttling.10266/#post-74611

For me the above link is enough.