What's new

3DMarks Scores of Surface Pro 3 Models (i3/i5/i7)

grumpy

Who are those other users and what software they are using? I'm an IT professional and have not found any software that have made me feel the need of more power.
Hmmmmm... Encoding videos, batch converting RAW files, compiling large projects, optical design software... Just a few processor intensive tasks that would likely invoke the aggressive throttling of the SP3.

Enough for you to see the the design flaw of the SP3? The video clearly demonstrates that the SP3's cooling solution is insufficient. The throttling was never to protect the CPU (since it is good up to 100C), but rather the surrounding components. The SP3 less able to handle the heat generated by the CPU than its predecessor. The author of that video even expresses dismay at the good hardware going to waste do the throttling made necessary by the inadequate cooling.

ctitanic

Hmmmmm... Encoding videos, batch converting RAW files, compiling large projects, optical design software... Just a few processor intensive tasks that would likely invoke the aggressive throttling of the SP3.

Have your tried those tasks? You will be surprised to see that the SP3 handles those tasks a lot better than what you believe.

ctitanic

Enough for you to see the design flaw of the SP3? The video clearly demonstrates that the SP3's cooling solution is insufficient. The throttling was never to protect the CPU (since it is good up to 100C), but rather the surrounding components. The SP3 less able to handle the heat generated by the CPU than its predecessor. The author of that video even expresses dismay at the good hardware going to waste do the throttling made necessary by the inadequate cooling.

It's a prove that it's not the CPU temperature what triggers the throttling. Any way, what's the issue? Are your going to do all those heavy tasks holding the SP3 in your hands when you are jogging? No. You probably will do those when you have the unit in the cradle. So get a USB fan an blow air in the bag of the unit. No big deal. I have been using those for ever!

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Mini-Desk...=UTF8&qid=1407843441&sr=8-3&keywords=USB+fans

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That video draws a misguided and erroneous conclusion. interestingly, yesterdays Broadwell announcement by Intel includes images and reference to all the kit for power, temperature, and clock optimization (throttling) and its obvious to this observer that its all working as designed by Intel.

The bottom line is the SP3 does throttle. Its not as bad as Grumpy makes it out to be nor is it all bad software that causes it however, bad software will get exposed easily. lets move on, we can agree to disagree.

SP3 will serve the majority of users quite well with far more capabilities and heavier workloads than an iPad or Android and has ultrabook class performance. The SP2 is still a viable less than one year old machine which will be more suitable to high end users unwilling to compromise. For myself (and I recommend this approach to others YMMV) I use another machine for high end workloads and never expected miracles from this excellent tablet/hybrid we call SP3. I did expect good performance for normal to med-high workloads and it delivers.

ctitanic

That video draws a misguided and erroneous conclusion. interestingly, yesterdays Broadwell announcement by Intel includes images and reference to all the kit for power, temperature, and clock optimization (throttling) and its obvious to this observer that its all working as designed by Intel.

The bottom line is the SP3 does throttle. Its not as bad as Grumpy makes it out to be nor is it all bad software that causes it however, bad software will get exposed easily. lets move on, we can agree to disagree.

SP3 will serve the majority of users quite well with for more capabilities and heavier workloads than an iPad or Android and has ultrabook class performance. The SP2 is still a viable less than one year old machine which will be more suitable to high end users unwilling to compromise. For myself (and I recommend this approach to others YMMV) I use another machine for high end workloads and never expected miracles from this excellent tablet/hybrid we call SP3. I did expect good performance for normal to med-high workloads and it delivers.
Totally agree!

infer66

I have an early SP2 with i54200U and a i54300U SP3. Both with 8gb ram 256mb hard drive.
I work in an architectural firm doing cgi work. I use daily autocad, 3dmax, photoshop, vegas video and I occasionally game with world of warcraft.
I find that even though the SP3's bigger screen is a major boost to productivity everything else about the new tablet is a downgrade to the SP2.
The screen glass is too thin and flexes when using pen pressure. The performance is worse (-25%) and the display is still not calibrated and up to par for pro use. Displaymate must have received a "special" sample from MS.
MS is promoting this as a laptop capable for work and play. The SP3 is neither. It is a light task performing tablet that runs full windows and nothing more.
Too bad that MS is chasing apple in tablet thinness and ignores what the pro line should be about...

megatronium

I have an early SP2 with i54200U and a i54300U SP3. Both with 8gb ram 256mb hard drive.
I work in an architectural firm doing cgi work. I use daily autocad, 3dmax, photoshop, vegas video and I occasionally game with world of warcraft.
I find that even though the SP3's bigger screen is a major boost to productivity everything else about the new tablet is a downgrade to the SP2.
The screen glass is too thin and flexes when using pen pressure. The performance is worse (-25%) and the display is still not calibrated and up to par for pro use. Displaymate must have received a "special" sample from MS.
MS is promoting this as a laptop capable for work and play. The SP3 is neither. It is a light task performing tablet that runs full windows and nothing more.
Too bad that MS is chasing apple in tablet thinness and ignores what the pro line should be about...

Sounds like you're better off with the Pro2. It is too bad MS didn't make the product you wanted. Perhaps Apple will? Or you can always "wait for Broadwell". Good luck!

infer66

I know that there are no money in niche markets, just sad to see the direction the pro line has taken. Yeap the SP3 is going back. Only getting the 4th one if it's thicker and heavier ;-)

Argh, I'm totally not saying you're WRONG, but I hate opinions based on your use case stated as facts.

I use it for work (finance and part time business school) and play (video & photo editing, light gaming, video watching, etc.) and have no issues. Maybe your work and play is more intensive than mine, but you made a blanket factual statement. Also, ignores what pro line should be about. According to whom? You? The SP3 is not for YOU. Return it and move on, but don't tell other people how MS failed us all, and what the pro line "should be about"

infer66

I apologize for my "blanket factual statement". I wasn't aware any MS shareholders were watching :).
Of course you are happy with a light performing tablet with your light demanding tasks... I am not.

Pro

: relating to a job that requires special education, training, or skill

: done or given by a person who works in a particular profession.

Last edited:

megatronium

I apologize for my "blanket factual statement". I wasn't aware any MS shareholders were watching :).
Of course you are happy with a light performing tablet with your light demanding tasks... I am not.

It's funny...I'm editing a show right now using Premiere 2014 and creating a model for a logo animation using Rhino 3D on my SP3. It's working for me great. Maybe you have a lemon? Or are you just rendering all day? Glad I got one of the good ones!! ;)

IMG_20140812_064731649_HDR.jpg

infer66

I never said it can't be done, heck I can draw a multistory building using autocad express on my iphone.
I can take a wild guess and say the SP2 will finish the job 25% faster...