What's new

3rd gen iPad to Surface 2 - what a relief!!

aras

Hello folks,

I just got my surface 2 and joined the forum. I'm coming from a 3rd gen iPad and this is a huge upgrade for me. Surface is significantly faster loading web pages and stuff and most importantly I love the 2 app side by side multitasking coming from iOS which does not offer anything like that and feels too much like a smartphone OS rather than a 10inch tablet OS. Kickstand is also great especially when set to the new angle. Some of my fav apps are missing in Win Store like Spotify but when you have web browser this good I think I can wait for them to come to the store. One concern although nothing major, I noticed that left side of my display towards the edges is slightly dimmer than the right side in landscape position. I only notice it in white background pages with black text. iPad had the same issue but I'm wondering if you guys are also noticing any uneven illumination on your surfaces.

EMINENT

No issues with display like yours. First i've heard of that actually.

Also, desktop IE can stream Spotify and Xbox music websites fine. No app needed.

kristalsoldier

Hello folks,

I just got my surface 2 and joined the forum. I'm coming from a 3rd gen iPad and this is a huge upgrade for me. Surface is significantly faster loading web pages and stuff and most importantly I love the 2 app side by side multitasking coming from iOS which does not offer anything like that and feels too much like a smartphone OS rather than a 10inch tablet OS. Kickstand is also great especially when set to the new angle. Some of my fav apps are missing in Win Store like Spotify but when you have web browser this good I think I can wait for them to come to the store. One concern although nothing major, I noticed that left side of my display towards the edges is slightly dimmer than the right side in landscape position. I only notice it in white background pages with black text. iPad had the same issue but I'm wondering if you guys are also noticing any uneven illumination on your surfaces.

Hmmm... that's odd about the screen. I have read about that issue on the iPad forums though my iPad does not seem to have that issue, but I have never heard about a Surface device having that problem. If you are certain about it, maybe you should have it exchanged or something. It is certainly not normal.

oion

Hmmm... that's odd about the screen. I have read about that issue on the iPad forums though my iPad does not seem to have that issue, but I have never heard about a Surface device having that problem. If you are certain about it, maybe you should have it exchanged or something. It is certainly not normal.

I wonder if this is another perception of the backlight bleed issue some people have? A major screen bleed problem would certainly appear to fade out parts of the screen, I imagine.

Edit to add: If it's noticeable under normal usage, I'd probably get it exchanged.

Under normal circumstances, I can't see backlight bleed on mine at all, but later I redid the test at 100% brightness and a completely black background and dark room; apparently I have backlight bleed in the lower right corner. That's not enough for me to exchange because I would never have those settings. But if OP is seeing fade of BLACK text on white background, I think that'd be far more irritating...

Last edited:
OP
A

aras

Thanks for the comments folks. Mine actually has very little backlight bleeding. Much less than any LCD I have seen so far. What I'm talking about is different. Basically on a white screen, left bottom corner looks slightly dimmer than the right corner. I checked and Surface Pro review on notebookcheck.com and it has slight bit of unevenness.

Review Microsoft Surface Pro Tablet - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

CrippsCorner

Is there any chance you could get a photo of your problem online so we can have a look at what you're experiencing?

saloei

@aras. Here's a Surface owner who made two videos of why he loves his Surface. He shows Spotify running in the Desktop internet explorer while he goes on to do other things on his tablet. The video simply shows what all Surface tablets can do and more, when you explore. Microsoft should adopt this guy!

[video=youtube;9VYf5MWyTn8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VYf5MWyTn8[/video]
[video=youtube;H7FUherhyvI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7FUherhyvI[/video]