What's new

4 Failed Win 10 installs, sucks

Captpt

Tried installing Win 10 four times today each time trying different scenarios(clearing downloads, turning off Defender ect..) and each time it downloaded and prepared for install then failed..
I'm totally disgusted here, how can MS release a OS for a MS built tablet and have it fail repeatedly.. wasted hours trying to upgrade...
I'm Getting that old MS dislike feeling again that drove me away years back :(

OP
C

Captpt

Windows 8.1 was totally a successful install, so was every other update I've done on my SP3 until now...
I honestly can't believe I'm having this problem, if I'm having problems on a Microsoft built tablet I can't imagine the problems others are going to have with computers and tablets built by Dell, Asus, HP and so on..

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Windows 8.1 was totally a successful install, so was every other update I've done on my SP3 until now...
I honestly can't believe I'm having this problem, if I'm having problems on a Microsoft built tablet I can't imagine the problems others are going to have with computers and tablets built by Dell, Asus, HP and so on..
There's a percentage of failures that will occur as there are a percentage of systems with corrupt configurations even if they appear to work normally until the problem is revealed performing a specific task.

kc912

Its a million times better than their 8 to 8.1 via the store. Just follow that download. I had to do it for my pc. You don't have to actually create a USB launcher it does it like the update version

Nys299

Update3.jpg

Using Media Creation Tool

Cedric

Are you sure you have enough free storage on your system drive. The install take lots of space because it saves the whole W81 installation. My guess is it takes about 20 GB, I wouldn't install with less than 30-40 GB free.
Also, I advise to use the media creation tool to install setup files on a USB stick, restart to Windows and double clicking the setup.exe on the USB stick.

You should probably clean your computer before the install.
Start, Run, %tmp%, enter to go to your temp folder, select all and delete - it's normal if you can't delete 100 % of your temporary files.

You can also use the windows 8 disk cleanup utility beforehand to remove unnecessary user & system files.

Last edited:

Cedric

Another problem may arise if the stick is too big. It seems to work best with 8-32 GB sticks.

What I did with a 64 GB USB stick when media creation tool failed is select the ISO option, then transfer it on the stick with Rufus, selecting large FAT 32 as the file system.

Last edited: