5 Days Old, Say It Ain't So....BROKE

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction & Site Assistance' started by OSOrico99, Dec 5, 2012.

1. OSOrico99

OSOrico99 New Member

Hi All I wanted to get on here because i was really excited about my new surface RT. I wish i could go into all the things that i like about it but after owning the unit for just 5 days it decided to crap out. This morning i picked it up and it was on from the night before. I put it in my bag and went to work. when i got to work i tried to hit the power button but their was no response. I then pressed the windows button on the tablet and felt a vibration. i thought it might be on but just running slow. Still to my surprise the unit would not turn on. i thought although highly unlikely that somehow i had run out of power so i plugged in. Still to no avail the unit would not turn on. I am stuck here. I want to return and get a new one but soemthing tells me this wont be the last of these types of issue.

Please offer some encouragement or warning.

2. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    Try holding the power button for 20-30 seconds to make sure the device powers down and then try and turn back on.

3. Echrada

Echrada Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Mine had problem not re starting or turning off. After a chat with MS support, they decided to send me a new one, on receipt of the new one I popped the old one in the same package (MS sent a label with for free return) and sent it back with the courier. Easy peasy, thank goodness.

4. xBobbyx

xBobbyx New Member

I hope you get it resolved. Keep us posted.

5. OSOrico99

OSOrico99 New Member

So on my way to the Microsoft store my dad takes it out of the bag in the car and the thing magically turns back on. Luckily i had taken a video of what was happening earlier in the day. The Tech team at microsoft said it could have been due to a firmware upgrade that i needed. I wasn't taking any chances so i had them give me a new one.

6. Jeffbx

Jeffbx New Member

I actually had the same experience - the screen blanked out & it would vibrate when I pressed the home button, but I could not get ANYTHING on the screen. I tried everything I could think of - plugged into power, held the power button for 30 secs, etc - I thought I would have to swap it out, and then the next day it just turned on like nothing had ever happened.

That was about a month ago & I haven't see the issue repeat itself.

7. hodad66

hodad66 New Member

I have read of this on other sites..... great that it comes back but not so good if
    you really needed it then!

8. cali

cali Member

Welcome to the site. Glad things sorted out.