What's new

5 ways Windows RT is better than full Windows

kundas1

interesting video from Sean Ong who has made many great vids about the RT and Surface tablet... so do any of you agree? lol I luved RT so much I kept my RT and still use it sometimes although I gotta admit my GF is using MUCH more than I.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 5 ways from the video:
#5 Battery Life - 12 hours playing a video
#4 Free Office - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote
#3 Appliance - It just works, rock solid
#2 Instant On/Off
#1 Does Not get Viruses

Hell Yeah! Windows RT rocks. Surface 2 replaced my iPad and I don't miss it at all.
If they make a Surface 3 with Tegra K1 inside I will definitely buy one.

InspectHerGadget

I like the Surface 2.

I don't think battery life is fantastic though. Standby time is terrible. It will go completely flat in a matter of several days. In contrast a Macbook or iPad will last for weeks in standby, if not over a month or more. I used the Surface 2 a lot but if I left it in standby over the weekend say, it would need charging, even if not used.

The other points he makes are fine. Free Office and freedom from most malware and viruses is great.

I'm a fan of the Surace 2 but now have the Pro as I need to run desktop software.

strollin

#4 isn't quite right. He states that you get Office in it's full glory or something similar but there are a few features stripped out such as the ability to run VBA or install addins.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
#4 isn't quite right. He states that you get Office in it's full glory or something similar but there are a few features stripped out such as the ability to run VBA or install addins.
True but not something most users will ever notice.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe for a consumer, but for a workforce? Isn't that like saying, limiting food reduces the risk of food poisoning?
Nope, VBA and Active X Controls are both attack vectors and the root of many of the patches that Office receives. I know many legacy saddled IT Shops and Corporation still use them (as well as individuals). Heck, when I did a lot of Desktop Deployment Consulting we were still remediating Access 97 Database Engine based Applications which caused much angst for my teams.

Straight Office without VBA closes most of these attack vectors.

SEANT

I have no doubt that VBA/ActiveX has been the conduit for numerous incursions, but what is the Risk/Benefit ratio. If we just consider the little Timmy or Grandma consumer then the R/B is fairly high. Likely, that type of consumer would not even know how to get to the VBAIDE.

A member of a mobile workforce, however, is probably in a better position to take advantage of the benefits that custom automation has to offer. Chances are the VBA routines are legacy/integrated/critical/mature, possibly expensive to rewrite: keeping all that at the cost of a little IT angst may be a great bargain.

I think the food/food poising analogy is apt. Just make sure there is some Pepto on hand.