What's new

58% drain on Connected Standby over 8 hours

EMINENT

It is shameful that these issues exist. But, I would've rather had the product in my hands than not at all. Had they not done it when they did, they would've missed the holidays.

The bugs like display driver and power were the only ones really of a concern on SP4. Book had other issues, but no have no care.
Driver was a minor annoyance that didn't impact my usage. The only other thing is the power now and hibernate works just fine in the meantime.

I guess I should be happy I haven't gotten the display driver crashes. And since I disabled sleep, I don't have the drain issue.

The bugs like display driver and power were the only ones really of a concern on SP4. Book had other issues, but no have no care.
Driver was a minor annoyance that didn't impact my usage. The only other thing is the power now and hibernate works just fine in the meantime.

macmee

It is shameful that these issues exist. But, I would've rather had the product in my hands than not at all. Had they not done it when they did, they would've missed the holidays.

I would rather Microsoft not sell buggy pieces of crap for $1500 which is the exact experience a lot of users had with the pro 4, 3, 2 and 1. My pro 3 and 4 experience was actually decent but everyone here knows how Microsoft's quality control goes, which is to say that it's completely nonexistent.

Buying a Surface is pretty much like flipping a coin. You could get something that works alright or you could get a lemon. Updating Windows is like playing bingo, everything could go fine or your device could be dead tomorrow because it decided to turn on at 100% CPU when it was in your backpack all morning (happened to me and had to RMA a SP2).

The 4th version of the surface is way better than the first and I enjoy mine a lot, but keep in mind that this is the FOURTH iteration of the surface and we're still seeing very similar bugs that we did with the first surface. I appreciate the evolution of the product so far but it's not enough. They need better quality control. I shouldn't be able to buy some $200 acer laptop at walmart and have a more stable machine then my $2000 4th generation surface. That's crap.

chrisoutwright

I would rather Microsoft not sell buggy pieces of crap for $1500 which is the exact experience a lot of users had with the pro 4, 3, 2 and 1. My pro 3 and 4 experience was actually decent but everyone here knows how Microsoft's quality control goes, which is to say that it's completely nonexistent.

Buying a Surface is pretty much like flipping a coin. You could get something that works alright or you could get a lemon. Updating Windows is like playing bingo, everything could go fine or your device could be dead tomorrow because it decided to turn on at 100% CPU when it was in your backpack all morning (happened to me and had to RMA a SP2).

The 4th version of the surface is way better than the first and I enjoy mine a lot, but keep in mind that this is the FOURTH iteration of the surface and we're still seeing very similar bugs that we did with the first surface. I appreciate the evolution of the product so far but it's not enough. They need better quality control. I shouldn't be able to buy some $200 acer laptop at walmart and have a more stable machine then my $2000 4th generation surface. That's crap.

I totally agree with you! With my SP4 I had Wi-Fi (ping spikes, failures loading pages) problems first then after installing Samsung SSD driver connected standby got worse drain-wise, therefore uninstalled it (some pages suggested installing the driver for better SSD speeds). Now when browsing my fan is running at specific pages non-stop, even when I switch to another window (used adblocker in chrome, shift+esc will now show much less cpu usage at last!), I mind you that on that page only one, one! little ad-video was showing! Horrible, but I can't just jet blame microsoft for my browsing experience.
I am thinking of returning the device, as there are far too many bugs to tolerate right now, especially in an university setting for example the fan's blasting is too loud (I am using i7). I am at a loss right now what to do with my SP4!

For those who don't think this is really an impact, think again. Number of battery cycles impact your battery life, after 300 cycles, your battery will be about 50% of capacity so if it's running down, it will have a long term impact on the device. Most of the time, manufacturers won't warranty issues on batteries unless the battery fails so you could be stuck with the cost of a battery replacement when its not your fault.

I can't count the amount of times I would climb on a plane on a Monday morning with a 4 hour flight ahead with work to do, only to find I have limited battery life left and no plug point on the plane.

I can't understand why MS doesn't address this. It was an issue on the SP3, and now the SP4 as well. There are other vendors who seem to have resolved this so it's not impossible either.