What's new

5ghz / router

gtmead09

Just a quick survey. Is anyone using 5ghz with your Surface Pro 4 and are you experiencing drops randomly? I did the registry fix and that didn't help. Thinking about getting a new router as I have had issues with this TP Link router since day 1, so any suggestions are welcomed as well. thanks

Slider4105

I run both my Pro4 and Surface 3 on my 5ghz band and it works fine. I noticed that when I wake them from hibernation they will work fine for 5 seconds, drop the signal, then within 10 seconds pick it back up. Almost like it power cycles the wireless card.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Just a quick survey. Is anyone using 5ghz with your Surface Pro 4 and are you experiencing drops randomly? I did the registry fix and that didn't help. Thinking about getting a new router as I have had issues with this TP Link router since day 1, so any suggestions are welcomed as well. thanks
Using the Netgear R7000 without issue on 5GHz on my SP4.

leeshor

Every SP4 I've had in my office has been on my 5GHz side without a problem. Netgear WNDR3700v4.

Omni

I also have the Asus RT-AC68U and have no issue at all. I usual stay connected at 600-700mbits.

whiteguy90

I use Netgear Nighthawk x6 r8000, my Surface Pro 4 always has no problem reciving the 2G and first 5G channels, but it had problem receiving the second 5G channels - which my Surface Pro 3 always has no problem on receiving all 3 channels. Bascially the signal dropped all the time and that's frustrating. So after all the testings on the machine and even talked to technicians in the Microsoft Store (unforunately no help), I decided to change my router's settings instead: I changed the channel number from default 149 to 153. Then viola, it worked well just like that. Since then my Surface Peo 4 has experienced no drop of signal on all 3 channels. Perhaps you should try that, it may only take you 10 minutes to find the right channel for your SP4. Good luck.

mikedyce

Yes - the router supplied by TalkTalk for their fibre broadband.

I also use a NotePro 12 (Android) on 5ghz - everything else uses 2.4.

I've not seen any wifi problems since day 1 (12th Nov).

Mike.

kyrkesmith

I've been having problems with the connection switching to limited connectivity, and initially was also having the one where it says the connection details have changed since I last used it. It seems to happen when connected to the dock, and disconnecting from the dock lets me disconnect and reconnect from WiFi and the connection goes back to normal (doing this when still connected to the dock doesn't restore the connection).

I'm using a TP-Link TD-W9980 N600 router. It seemed a bit better when I forced the SP4 to 5 GHz, but I don't really want to do this as I'll want to connect to 2.4 GHz routers elsewhere. I've also tried the registry change but that doesn't seem to help.