What's new

5ghz / router

leeshor

On your last paragraph, using one network on 5GHz doesn't prohibit you from using 2.4 on another. I must be missing something.

onimod

Sorry, yes I didn't make that clear. As in when I change the adapter settings to be 5 GHz instead of Auto.
On my SP2 I just select the 5GHZ connection to connect automatically. I don't need to change the adapter settings to achieve that. I'd be surprised if that behaviour has changed as Surface has evolved.

kyrkesmith

It connects fine to the 5 GHz network when the adapter's set to Auto, it's just the dropping connections haven't happened when the adapter's only set to operate on 5 GHz. It's a rather subjective test at this stage and if anything the disconnections/limited connectivity problems seem to be more correlated with being plugged in to the dock than anything else.

I'll spend a bit more time on it over the next week or so and provide an update; really just wanted to see if any of the setup/circumstances were similar for others.

OP
G

gtmead09

I replaced my router and got rid of that horrible TP-Link router. Got an ASUS and not one single problem since. I probably just jinxed myself, but its been solid for a few weeks. That TP-Link router gave me fits from day 1. Never again!

kyrkesmith

I haven't had any WiFi problems since changing the adapter settings to be 5 GHz instead of Auto for the band, so I think this is definitely part of the problem. I'm also pretty sure it's only a problem when connected to the dock, although I haven't used it enough un-docked to be completely sure.