What's new

8.1 Recovery image...

KloppKopp

I would really like to use MS official download but unfortunately it does not work at all! Can anyone pleeeeeeaaaaaase share a S3 WIN10 recovrey Image with me ???

Many thanks!!!

Hectoron

I would really like to use MS official download but unfortunately it does not work at all! Can anyone pleeeeeeaaaaaase share a S3 WIN10 recovrey Image with me ???

Many thanks!!!
I can provide the serial number of my Surface 3 which came preinstalled with Windows 10 and you can use that to download a recovery image from Microsoft's website. In return request you to provide a serial number for a Surface which had Windows 8.1 preinstalled since I am desperate for downgrading. PM me so we can share email id's for further conversation.

Hectoron

Hi, could you share the Surface3_BMR_10_10.34.0.zip recovery image? I only can download Surface3_BMR_10_4.50.0.zip with my S3 SN.
Quite late reply but can we exchange serial number of our respective devices so that you can download a Win10 image and I can download a Win8 image (in desperate need of downgrading to Win 8.1 on my S3). PM so we can share email id's for further conversation.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't recommend swapping Serial Numbers as it will make warranty or returns very challenging.

mrhunter9

I just bought a Surface 3 that came with Windows 10 out of the box. The image from Microsoft I downloaded (Surface3_BMR_10_10.34.0.zip) is based on 10240 Threshold from 7.29.2015. I had to wipe the Surface 3 because the free 1 year Office 365 app disappeared.

The only issue I see using this image on a Surface 3 that came with Windows 8.1 is activating it with the existing product key since that key is for Windows 8.1 only. If you restore to Windows 10 (10240), you will have to upgrade to Threshold 2 (10586) November update to get your Surface to activate with Microsoft.

You can always do an inline upgrade to Windows 10 TH2 from Windows Update as well.

Hectoron

I wouldn't recommend swapping Serial Numbers as it will make warranty or returns very challenging.
Pray tell me any other way to obtain the 8.1 recovery image? Talking to Microsoft customer support just doesn't yield anything?
And how exactly would swapping serial no. make warranty/returns difficult? ASSUMING that it's merely used to download a recovery image.

Those that got a Win8.1 Surface3 are free to go back & forth between Win8.1 & Win10 (by upgrading to Win10 within Win8.1 and then using a Win8.1 recovery to go back to it), but the Win10 S3 buyers have no such benefit. And this is when MICROSOFT DOESN'T HAVE ANY ISSUE with you downgrading to Win 8.1.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Pray tell me any other way to obtain the 8.1 recovery image? Talking to Microsoft customer support just doesn't yield anything?
And how exactly would swapping serial no. make warranty/returns difficult? ASSUMING that it's merely used to download a recovery image.

Those that got a Win8.1 Surface3 are free to go back & forth between Win8.1 & Win10 (by upgrading to Win10 within Win8.1 and then using a Win8.1 recovery to go back to it), but the Win10 S3 buyers have no such benefit. And this is when MICROSOFT DOESN'T HAVE ANY ISSUE with you downgrading to Win 8.1.
Downgrade rights are only available if you have a Pro edition of the Surface 3. Also, the S/N entered is registering the device under your MSA, that is how it will impact warranty.

khangozzy

Check this method if it can help, use your SN and give me the download link and I will give you mine. Just wonder how long the download link last after generated.!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Let me make this clear, sharing the S/N to obtain a Recovery Image that is not intended for your device is against the EULA of Windows: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/OEM/Windows/10/UseTerms_OEM_Windows_10_English.htm Specifically -

Restrictions. The manufacturer or installer and Microsoft reserve all rights (such as rights under intellectual property laws) not expressly granted in this agreement. For example, this license does not give you any right to, and you may not:

(i) use or virtualize features of the software separately;

(ii) publish, copy (other than the permitted backup copy), rent, lease, or lend the software;

(iii) transfer the software (except as permitted by this agreement);

(iv) work around any technical restrictions or limitations in the software;

(v) use the software as server software, for commercial hosting, make the software available for simultaneous use by multiple users over a network, install the software on a server and allow users to access it remotely, or install the software on a device for use only by remote users;

(vi) reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the software, or attempt to do so, except and only to the extent that the foregoing restriction is permitted by applicable law or by licensing terms governing the use of open-source components that may be included with the software; and

(vii) when using Internet-based features you may not use those features in any way that could interfere with anyone else’s use of them, or to try to gain access to or use any service, data, account, or network, in an unauthorized manner.

And -

Downgrade Rights. If you acquired a device from a manufacturer or installer with a Professional version of Windows preinstalled on it, you may use either a Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows 7 Professional version, but only for so long as Microsoft provides support for that earlier version as set forth in (aka.ms/windowslifecycle). This agreement applies to your use of the earlier versions. If the earlier version includes different components, any terms for those components in the agreement that comes with the earlier version apply to your use of such components. Neither the manufacturer or installer, nor Microsoft, is obligated to supply earlier versions to you. You must obtain the earlier version separately, for which you may be charged a fee. At any time, you may replace an earlier version with the version you originally acquired.

Hectoron

Let me make this clear, sharing the S/N to obtain a Recovery Image that is not intended for your device is against the EULA of Windows: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/OEM/Windows/10/UseTerms_OEM_Windows_10_English.htm Specifically -

Restrictions. The manufacturer or installer and Microsoft reserve all rights (such as rights under intellectual property laws) not expressly granted in this agreement. For example, this license does not give you any right to, and you may not:

(i) use or virtualize features of the software separately;

(ii) publish, copy (other than the permitted backup copy), rent, lease, or lend the software;

(iii) transfer the software (except as permitted by this agreement);

(iv) work around any technical restrictions or limitations in the software;

(v) use the software as server software, for commercial hosting, make the software available for simultaneous use by multiple users over a network, install the software on a server and allow users to access it remotely, or install the software on a device for use only by remote users;

(vi) reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the software, or attempt to do so, except and only to the extent that the foregoing restriction is permitted by applicable law or by licensing terms governing the use of open-source components that may be included with the software; and

(vii) when using Internet-based features you may not use those features in any way that could interfere with anyone else’s use of them, or to try to gain access to or use any service, data, account, or network, in an unauthorized manner.

And -

Downgrade Rights. If you acquired a device from a manufacturer or installer with a Professional version of Windows preinstalled on it, you may use either a Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows 7 Professional version, but only for so long as Microsoft provides support for that earlier version as set forth in (aka.ms/windowslifecycle). This agreement applies to your use of the earlier versions. If the earlier version includes different components, any terms for those components in the agreement that comes with the earlier version apply to your use of such components. Neither the manufacturer or installer, nor Microsoft, is obligated to supply earlier versions to you. You must obtain the earlier version separately, for which you may be charged a fee. At any time, you may replace an earlier version with the version you originally acquired.

Just to set the record straight Microsoft Technical Support EXPLICITLY & STRAIGHTFORWARDLY recommends to use another serial number to download a required image for Surface 3 (& Surface 3 also though don't quote me for this particular model). If you so want I can post the Transcript of not one but 3 different chats with Microsoft Support representatives where they confirm and even suggest & recommend that I use a different serial no. to download a different recovery image. And this even when one of those 3 representatives had consulted his senior manager on how to obtain a Win8.1 image for those Surface users who had Win10 pre-installed. As per that senior manager too, one CAN use the serial no. of a DIFFERENT PIECE/SAMPLE of that model to get the recovery image, so you can't blame the lower-rank employees of not being aware of the do's & don't. I can absolutely provide the Transcripts of these chats (if you so want) which confirms Microsoft DOES NOT SEE ANY PROBLEM with users using a different serial number to obtain a different recovery image to what the device originally came with. Infact they didn't just suggest, but actually recommended to use a different serial no. to download a different recovery image.

I could have easily got the serial no. from a physical Service Center in my country but the thing is- Surface 3 hasn't launched in my country, only the Surface Pro 4 launched (and most likely Surface 4 non-pro also will, if & when it launches in US), which you know came with Windows 10 from day one. Thus, visiting a service center will not yield any result.

Come to think of it- the reason why Microsoft asks for your serial is to (1) make it very easy for one to download without having to go through the hassle of 'selecting' the exact image for your device, since most users are not very tech-savvy, and (2) Not force-recover using a wrong recovery image which may brick your device, and (3) reduce the download traffic just in case it is abused to bog down their servers.
The way I see it- it is an overly-automated ('overly' for us, not for the non-technical people) and probably dumbed-down, Apple-ish kind of way of doing it. Nowhere is it apparent that Microsoft does this to PREVENT users from installing a different version of Windows.

IF THAT WAS THE CASE: MICROSOFT WOULD HAVE ASKED YOU TO LOGIN THROUGH YOUR 'MICROSOFT USER ACCOUNT' WHEN GENERATING A DOWNLOAD, BUT SURPRISINGLY THEY DON'T !! ......One just has to Select the product in question, enter the serial no. and you are DONE!

This is the reason I questioned you that how exactly does sharing the serial no. affect the warranty of the particular piece in question. But apparently you are misinformed that downloading a recovery image is somehow interlinked with your Microsoft User Account. It isn't. Anyone can go, enter a serial no. and download a recovery image without bothering to login or even create a user account.

Last edited:

leeshor

To be clear on this, from my perspective, if a Microsoft told you that it would be fine, it would, if Microsoft provided the serial number or it was a serial number from another device you own I don't see a problem, but if they suggested anything else they are likely breaking their own rules. There will be no serial number sharing on this forum. That's our rule. Much of what @jnjroach suggested were directly from Microsoft. Also, there will be NO calling out of any staff on this forum. That's spelled out in our terms of service, (forum guidelines).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
To be clear on this, from my perspective, if a Microsoft told you that it would be fine, it would, if Microsoft provided the serial number or it was a serial number from another device you own I don't see a problem, but if they suggested anything else they are likely breaking their own rules. There will be no serial number sharing on this forum. That's our rule. Much of what @jnjroach suggested were directly from Microsoft. Also, there will be NO calling out of any staff on this forum. That's spelled out in our terms of service, (forum guidelines).
Id agree with that... MS support should provide a sacrificial serial number for downloading if that's their direction. Or just fix the web site so you can get other available images for your serial number.

In addition the site should be enhanced so you can get older drivers since often the latest driver doesn't work for everyone and using a restore point to rollback to isn't an option if you previously followed their instruction to RESET which you would almost be guaranteed of in the course of five minutes with support. As it is it's incumbent on you do download drivers every time they are released and keep them for yourself just in case.