What's new

8.1 update 1

It's a Windows update, for God's sake. It's not like you install an Android firmware and brick your phone. If it's digitally signed by Microsoft, it's ok to install, it's a PC, there are countless officially supported ways to get out of a bad install.

I was referring to the fact it's coming off a Torrent website, might contain a virus, and Microsoft might release other updates for the Surface that get it ready for this update that might prevent certain issues. But I'll be sure to refrain from putting a disclaimer in a message from now on when linking to unofficially released updates from websites that are borderlined illegal.

Last edited:

Rvacha

Just keep in mind that "RTM" no longer means what it used to mean at MS. How many minor builds were there after Win8.1 was supposedly RTMed? About half a dozen as I recall

kevinlevrone

Installed it. Everything works normally, but to me it seems that things move faster, especially Internet Explorer. I like the fact that you can now minimize the Metro apps to taskbar.

OAG

Installed on SP2 and 6 year old Dell XPS Desktop last evening. All went smoothly. Installed on Dell L702X this morning. All went just fine but found that the very largest file of the 6 needs to be installed LAST (at least that is what I found on all of my systems). All work fine and seem a bit faster than before the update. Now nothing to look forward to in the area of updates until next year? Ran a Disk Cleanup to include System Files (takes some time to do) and reclaimed a lot of SSD Space.

Rvacha

The largest of them is KB2919355
I installed them in this order with no problems KB2919442, KB2939087, KB2919355, KB2932046, KB2938439, KB2937592

My POS SP2 worked great for about 3 hours then started crashing again so I don't have much experience with the update. The one bug I did see is this: If you close an app from the taskbar, Windows jumps back to the start screen. I bet this "RTM" gets a revision or two before it becomes officially available

tarrant64

I would be more than happy to jump in on the updates, my problem was getting them from (as mentioned above) torrent sites, etc. Just don't know if those files have been messed with unless it's from a reputable source. I'd rather do a reg-hack to show an update the normal way (Windows Update) than download a bunch of updates from a torrent site. Those botnet networks don't build themselves you know. ;).

Doesn't bother me so much that it may not be a "final" build - I don't recall people having that many problems in the past with stuff like that. I do understand it can happen and who knows, MS may patch it with something again that requires a complete reinstall to get the official update if you installed previous versions.

OAG

The largest of them is KB2919355
I installed them in this order with no problems KB2919442, KB2939087, KB2919355, KB2932046, KB2938439, KB2937592

My POS SP2 worked great for about 3 hours then started crashing again so I don't have much experience with the update. The one bug I did see is this: If you close an app from the taskbar, Windows jumps back to the start screen. I bet this "RTM" gets a revision or two before it becomes officially available

I just tried to induce that on my SP2 but could not - worked as expected.

InkyRag

I installed the updates on two SP2's and one desktop and all is well on all machines. I was also unable to induce the above issue on my machines.

kevinlevrone

One thing that I noticed last night after the update is that when charging and in connected sleep mode the tablet fans begin to spin after about 5 minutes and remain spinning until the moment I start the tablet and log in, then the fans suddenly stop. I do have a leather-like case on the tablet, so it may trigger the fans faster than if no case. Hopefully it is unrelated and the computer just needed to do some background tasks while in connected sleep, because otherwise it would be really bad.

GoodBytes

I prefer to wait, because teh release is for manufactures not users, meaning that Microsoft internal testing suggest that everything is good. But wants to be sure by having manufactures (OEMs) to do their own testing and report back issues, for them to fix. These fixes, can either be implemented in the full release, which you can't get as you upgraded before hand, so you'll need to format and re-install. Or, if it's later on, as a future Windows Updates. That is why when you pre-order a new Windows and get it a day before it reaches store shelf, the first you notice after installing it.... you have Windows Updates.

Now you MIGHT say: "Well it's Microsoft, for sure they already tested with the Surface Pro already during their normal testing... right? It's there computer?". Well... I am not going to assume anything, but usually large companies, aren't so efficient.
While YES, FINALLY, Microsoft is restructuring, and FINALLY, rework the employee evaluation which no longer promotes competition between employees let alone teams, but rather promote team work, communication and sharing of knowledge (hopefully this will lead Microsoft to stop re-inventing the wheel, for Example: Office ribbon bar does not match Windows one, let alone the one in Paint, WordPad, etc., or the text editor in Visual Studio which is one of the best you can find, being re-invented from scratch and feels behind with Microsoft Webmatrix (everything is done in component, USE the same system, don't make your own again!) Anyway, I can go on and on... So I prefer for Microsoft to do it's testing, make sure the Surface Pro 1/2 gets well tested, and approved, and enjoy the final build with the final updates for the best experience.