What's new

8/13/13 Update - better battery?

OP
Ruffles

Ruffles

Yeah, the more I mess with it, the more I think it's just a coincidence in timing. I'm bummed though because it will probably mean and exchange which means a reinstall of everything. The fans definitely have a different sound now. Before, it was just the whoosh of air noise that I heard but now it's a distinct motor sound as well.

Arizona Willie

How can you even tell when they are running?

I use my tablet for bedtime reading and I see my screen brighten and dim and I < presumed > it was the fans starting and stopping, although I don't hear anything.

Sometimes I Skype with it but have not noticed any screen dimming then.

No battery improvement for me either. Unfortunately, my fans now make a rattle noise. I'm not sure if they are giving out or if the update changed the speed at which they run but it's bugging me. It's only when they run slow. They sound the same at high speed. Now, I hear them run when they didn't use to. :(

Arizona Willie

Try Acronis True Image and make a backup of your ENTIRE disk, operating system and all. Then, if you get a replacement you can simply restore your backup and VOILA! you are back in operation in about 30 minutes, all your programs and data just like it was.

Yeah, the more I mess with it, the more I think it's just a coincidence in timing. I'm bummed though because it will probably mean and exchange which means a reinstall of everything. The fans definitely have a different sound now. Before, it was just the whoosh of air noise that I heard but now it's a distinct motor sound as well.

OP
Ruffles

Ruffles

Well, when they kick in, you'll know it. Try a game or if you really want to torture your tablet, run Prime95. That will peg your cpu's at 100% and cause everything to heat up so the fans kick on.

How can you even tell when they are running?

I use my tablet for bedtime reading and I see my screen brighten and dim and I < presumed > it was the fans starting and stopping, although I don't hear anything.

Sometimes I Skype with it but have not noticed any screen dimming then.

OP
Ruffles

Ruffles

I've got Macrium and have made images of my tablet but I've never tried to restore to a different physical device. Does that work? Won't the replacement have a different product key for the OS etc? Also, will this jack up all my activated programs like Photoshop and Office 2013 etc?

Try Acronis True Image and make a backup of your ENTIRE disk, operating system and all. Then, if you get a replacement you can simply restore your backup and VOILA! you are back in operation in about 30 minutes, all your programs and data just like it was.

Codevine

My fans also make a rattling noise, definitely not smooth. However, I've not installed this update yet. It started a few days ago and sometimes gets worse and then kinda relaxes. Probably have to chat with the Microsoft service, doesn't sound very healthy. :/

(It's only when they start spinning up)

Codevine

Sadly, this update is not availabie if you're on Windows 8.1 Preview. At least that's what I've read and also experienced. Do you use "normal" Windows 8, mitchellvii?

rstrube

Hi guys,

I had a quick question. When I applied the firmware update I didn't have the typecover attached, do you think this caused the firmware update to only be partially applied? I just recently purchased a surface pro so i'm very new to the update process. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mitchellvii

Sadly, this update is not availabie if you're on Windows 8.1 Preview. At least that's what I've read and also experienced. Do you use "normal" Windows 8, mitchellvii?

The evil people lied to you. This update works perfectly on 8.1 Preview.

I am definitely enjoying my Surface Pro more since this update:

1) Embedded YouTube videos launch almost instantly. They used to not launch at all.
2) Wifi reconnects immediately after awaking from sleep.
3) Screen looks better, more vibrant and seems to refresh faster.
4) Fonts in Modern UI are definitely smoother and less jaggy.
5) The whole OS seems to have a new pep in its step.

** Now if it just had a bigger screen :)

Last edited: