What's new

9/15 FIRMWARE

OP
Compusmurf

Compusmurf

September 2015 updates
The following update will be listed as “System Firmware Update – 9/15/2015” or “System Hardware Update – 9/15/2015” when you view your update history.

Note
When Surface updates are provided via the Windows Update service, they are delivered in stages to Surface customers. As a result, not every Surface will receive the update at the same time, but the update will be delivered to all devices. If you have not received the update then please manually check Windows Update later.
  • USB 3.0 Card Reader driver update (v10.0.10240.31217) improves the system power usage when an SD card is inserted.

kristalsoldier

September 2015 updates
The following update will be listed as “System Firmware Update – 9/15/2015” or “System Hardware Update – 9/15/2015” when you view your update history.

Note
When Surface updates are provided via the Windows Update service, they are delivered in stages to Surface customers. As a result, not every Surface will receive the update at the same time, but the update will be delivered to all devices. If you have not received the update then please manually check Windows Update later.
  • USB 3.0 Card Reader driver update (v10.0.10240.31217) improves the system power usage when an SD card is inserted.

Thanks!!!! Do you know if this helps with the long-standing mSD card problem of heating and battery drain?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Windows Update said it updated the Firmware however, it doesn't appear to have actually updated anything as far as I can tell.
Although... there are 4 separate firmware's:
Embedded Controller aka EC,
System Aggregator aka SAM,
Touch,
UEFI

Taking a wild guess id think this update was targeted at EC but who knows...

...could be the source of many problems ... where you land on the Microsoft roulette wheel of firmware & Windows updates seems to be as random and unpredictable as playing the tables in Vegas. Already been down the RESET road a number of times... that's NOT the answer.

macmee

Windows Update said it updated the Firmware however, it doesn't appear to have actually updated anything as far as I can tell.
Although... there are 4 separate firmware's:
Embedded Controller aka EC,
System Aggregator aka SAM,
Touch,
UEFI

Taking a wild guess id think this update was targeted at EC but who knows...

...could be the source of many problems ... where you land on the Microsoft roulette wheel of firmware & Windows updates seems to be as random and unpredictable as playing the tables in Vegas. Already been down the RESET road a number of times... that's NOT the answer.
TOUCH!?!?

DOES THIS FIX THE TAP = RIGHT CLICK BUG?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

edit: the update is stuck on 96%, nooooooooo

OP
Compusmurf

Compusmurf

No, this was only a driver, packaged with last months firmware. Nothing special, and the driver did not fix the irq issue for most folks.

macmee

No, this was only a driver, packaged with last months firmware. Nothing special, and the driver did not fix the irq issue for most folks.

3395440-anger.jpg

kristalsoldier

I am not sure what this irq problem is, but what I was experiencing is a problem with the mSD card. Apparently, it was draining the battery and my SP3 was more than warm to touch with the fans on constantly. On asking around here, folks advised me to look into the mSD thing. I removed it and the device went back to how it used to operate when it ran 8.1 (a slight hit on the battery remains with W10, I think).

I then installed this update. I then reinstalled the same mSD that I had taken out previously (SanDisk 64GB). I have not noticed the fans kicking in; the contents of the card read just fine; the device is cool to the touch and battery life seems to have marginally improved (though I am still looking into this).

dleuen

I then installed this update. I then reinstalled the same mSD that I had taken out previously (SanDisk 64GB). I have not noticed the fans kicking in; the contents of the card read just fine; the device is cool to the touch and battery life seems to have marginally improved (though I am still looking into this).

Thank you. Finally an ELI5 answer.