What's new

99% not charging question

absresin

new to SP3, read here that I should run battery down to 10% once a month then recharge. Did this but when it got to 99% it said "not charging". Is it supposed to go to 100% or is 99% ok to meet the need for the 10% recharge suggestion. thanks

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's battery management. It's not good to charge the battery to 100% all the time so when it gets to 100% it then stops charging and will read 9x% Not Charging until it gets down to 94% then it will start charging again.

grumpy

99% - not charging means that the charge terminated prior to reaching the previously determined "full charge capacity". If you put the computer to sleep (hibernation might be required) it will probably turn on reading 100%. The full charge capacity is then recalibrated to the new value. The Surface will always charges the battery completely (after it drops below the initial threshold), terminating when the voltage reaches 8.4v at 2000mW.

joeka

I had the same issue. Try the "two button shutdown" ....

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en...nd-recovery/surface-pro-wont-turn-on#shutdown

Well, it's more of a "two button start up" than shutdown! :)

No need to do step 1, just shutdown your SP3 normally, then follow from step 2. This solved the issue for me. I suggest waiting until your device is "full charged" to 99% - that's what I did anyway.

It might have been coincidental that it worked for me - perhaps it would have corrected itself anyway... Worth a try though, won't do any harm! :)

Tom Thomas

I had the same problem but after awhile it was 97% and not charging............when it got to 93% and not charging I decided it was time to involve MS Support. They had me do a few things to try and solve it, even did a full recovery with no difference. MS sent me a new Surface Pro 3 and it has shown after being fully charging 100% and not charging since I received it over a month ago.
Just keep an eye on it.