A few random SP3 questions

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by spinachpie, Nov 22, 2014.

1. spinachpie

spinachpie Member

Rather than starting a new thread for each, I was hoping for some help as to a couple of questions:

• The fabric style of the keyboard - it's nice, but is there a reason apart from aesthetics that MS went down this route? I can imagine it getting dirty in time and wondering how easy it is to clean?

• External portable HDD. I have a WD elements portable 1TB HDD and am wondering if there is a clip or anything else designed which can attach to the SP3? I am planning on taking the SP3 away quite often and something which holds the external HDD in place for movies etc would be ace.

• Any type of protector for the back of the SP3 which you know of? My SP1 had many scratches on the back and don't want the same for the SP3

• USB extension - any clips which attach to the SP3 for the USB slot to increase the number of available USB slots?

2. silkrooster

silkrooster Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    The fabric does get dirty. I have not tried cleaning it yet, but the web site does have a recommendation for cleaning it.

I do not know of any clip for the HD. But it does set nicely between my leg and the arm of the chair. The usb cable is also long enough, that I can set it on a side table or TV tray.

I do not know of any protector, I suppose you could put packaging tape or other clear tape on the cover. I would not know how well the sticky gum would clean up, but rubbing alcohol should work. Again, I do not know what the alcohol would do to the back of the surface. So these steps would have to be a try at your own risk.

There are some, I found searching Amazon, but a simple usb hub may work as well. I would make sure it is usb 3 instead of usb 2.

I wish I could be of more help, but like you I have not had the surface very long.

3. spinachpie

spinachpie Member

4. hughlle

hughlle Super Moderator Staff Member

1. The material is almost irrelevent. Like with anything, buy the colour that makes sense. No marks yet on my black cover.

2. Buy a case and some adhesive velcro strips, job done.

3. There are countless covers and skins for protecting your sp3, just google it

4. See point 3. I continuously have adds popping up on facebook etc for them. Just a bar that sits flush to the sp3 and has usb ports as well as network.