What's new

A Little Poll: Are You A Power Cover Person??

Sir Face

I have to admit that I jumped right in there and pre-ordered my Power Cover, which MS Store assures me will actually arrive here on next Wednesday.
But I'm just wondering how much enthusiasm is really out there for it. I was rather disappointed that MS decided not to light it, that almost became a deal-breaker to me, and it might go back to MS after I use it a little if I find this to be too much of a handicap. The additional thickness could also be somewhat aggravating as well as being over twice as heavy. I guess it'll all boil down to just how much I love the extended operating time from it.

Do you have one on order, or do you plan on getting one??

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

I would have been interested to the power if (1) it was backlit; (2) if I have the Pro/ Pro 2 devices; and (3) it was cheaper. Based on this, and given my current usage patterns, I would have to say that I am NOT planning to get one immediately.

wditters

For me that would be (1) it was backlit and (4) if it was thinner ... 10mm simply makes it a big heavy slab ...

I have the type 2 keyboard and love the back-light... so I will say that if it is not back-lit I am not interested. Also in power saver mode I am getting 8+hrs of constant use (did this with wordament one weekend) and if it only extends battery run I will pass....

CrippsCorner

Not for me, spends most of it's time plugged into the mains
cool.png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I bought it specifically for the occasions where I will be away from mains for an extended periods of time, such as international travel (if the customer won't pay for business class or personal) or if at a conference. It will not be my daily keyboard as it defeats the tablet functionality...

bluegrass

I'm a bleeding edge gadget freak kind of guy, so this new power keyboard is tempting but than again I rarely use my SP2 away form having mains around. I think I can live without if for the time being. More pressing for me is the docking station. I want it to be easier at my desk at work or my relax area at home just drop the beast into a cradle and have the functionality of a desktop. I'm still needing to force myself to try and accomplish all the tasks that I do on my desktop upstairs such as editing a website & editing videos I have shot. I've read all the details about April Tuesday's release of Update 1 and frankly a little excited about getting it. And yes, $200 is a little high for the PK but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I really saw that I would need it. I'm going to probably make or buy a power brick that I carry with me when I travel to keep my SP2 going for several more hours without the mains around.

Tesfaye

I recently picked up a Surface Pro for myself, loved it and gave it to my wife and then picked up a SP2 for myself with two type keyboards. Neither one of us want a keyboard that isn't backlit, but we agree that the Power Cover would be perfect for travel so no one is stressing over battery life, so I'm going to get one to keep on hand for when we are traveling.

Does anyone know why they omitted the back light on the Power Cover?

zurface

I ordered the power cover as soon as I could and have been holding out specifically for it. Battery life makes a huge difference for me because I work 9-5, have a small business, and like doing my own little projects. I am on the computer all the time, a lot of times moving between different places.

Not worrying about keeping the battery charged or looking for an outlet is great. I also think the form of the Surface means you use it a lot more often-- I used to only bring out my thinkpad for work but I pull out the Surface for notes, reminders, web/map searches (tethered), reading ebooks/documents, etc. More battery is always welcome.

I think the backlight could be a problem for some but it doesn't affect me at all. Weight could also be a factor, and I won't know until I try it out, but it will probably be better to carry around on my bike than my current thinkpad.

The reason I waited so long for the power cover is that it could turn my SP2 from a note-taking, drawing, web browsing device I use once in a while into an all-round work computer I can take anywhere. My experience with the SP2 has been far from ideal but I'm really looking forward to the power cover.

OP
S

Sir Face

Why No Backlight on Power Cover?

I'm a bleeding edge gadget freak kind of guy, so this new power keyboard is tempting but than again I rarely use my SP2 away form having mains around. I think I can live without if for the time being. More pressing for me is the docking station. I want it to be easier at my desk at work or my relax area at home just drop the beast into a cradle and have the functionality of a desktop. I'm still needing to force myself to try and accomplish all the tasks that I do on my desktop upstairs such as editing a website & editing videos I have shot. I've read all the details about April Tuesday's release of Update 1 and frankly a little excited about getting it. And yes, $200 is a little high for the PK but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I really saw that I would need it. I'm going to probably make or buy a power brick that I carry with me when I travel to keep my SP2 going for several more hours without the mains around.

I sure don't know either, but from the responses on this little poll, that omission is going to absolutely kill the sales of the Power Cover. I'll bet it was because it would have made a too-thick-already cover even thicker. To try to claim it was to save power, which Microsoft does, is totally lame. Wouldn't backlit keys be pretty essential on those long overnight flights in the dark, etc.?

jrapdx

Looks like it's about 2:1 against power cover so far.

I'd join the majority here. Battery life is already good: with careful use the SP2 will run > 12 hours on a fully charged battery. I also like the backlighting of the PC2, and the extra weight and bulk of the Power Cover is undesirable.

Frankly, I'd rather see the engineering resources put into fixing the problems of the SP2. From my point of view, using an SP2 means tolerating unnecessary instability. But this has often been the policy: adding "features" dominates over improving reliability. Judging by the results that doesn't seem to be the optimal priority.