What's new

A Patch by any other name would revise no less

Just did an update check for a giggle and found another Defender and Windows 8.1 update, installed but didn't have to restart or anything. Guess they were just negligible bug fixes?

You're joking, right? My wife thinks this is the absolutely *BEST* part of the update, ESPECIALLY at 5 am when she's still trying to sleep ;)

For anyone still having problems with the update, it has been suggested that disabling and re-enabling automatic updates SHOULD shake it loose. I can't confirm this, however, as I had no issues getting it to pop up.

No I'm not joking!! The keyboard sounds used to change with the volume control and if you don't want them at all you can turn them off in settings or you can mute sounds temporarily in the charms bar. Now they are always nearly silent. MS is such a joke....a bad joke....

Last edited:
No I'm not joking!! The keyboard sounds used to change with the volume control and if you don't want them at all you can turn them off in settings or you can mute sounds temporarily in the charms bar. Now they are always nearly silent. MS is such a joke....a bad joke....

Sounds are working just fine with me, and scale with volume as well.

When hell freezes over! When it snows in July!

...oh wait, Canada.

EDIT: Seriously though, either later today or tomorrow. MS is probably just staggering the release, even though tbh it's not really all that meaningul on a Surface.

Nuspieds

You got the update in the UK already?

WHEN DOES CANADA GET IT :yelling:
No, it has nothing to do with Canada.

I had spoken with MS and told them that your update must be especially flawless and fix all historical issues. As such, Update 1a will be released ONLY to your device, so hang tight; it shouldn't be that much longer. :LOL:

macmee

No, it has nothing to do with Canada.

I had spoken with MS and told them that your update must be especially flawless and fix all historical issues. As such, Update 1a will be released ONLY to your device, so hang tight; it shouldn't be that much longer. :LOL:

As other forum users know, my experiences with Microsoft and the Surface are absolutely disastrous. Wish I could say I am surprised that even when it comes to updating, I'm getting a second rate experience.

Nuspieds

As other forum users know, my experiences with Microsoft and the Surface are absolutely disastrous. Wish I could say I am surprised that even when it comes to updating, I'm getting a second rate experience.
Have you "confirmed" that it's not yet in Canada? I agree it is odd that it is in the UK and not yet in Canada. If anything, I would expect a North American rollout before global.

Anyway, if there are any Canadian sites you visit, it might be worthwhile to do some investigation. I was reading somewhere about others having to do some sort of housekeeping steps before the update was visible to their devices.

macmee

Have you "confirmed" that it's not yet in Canada? I agree it is odd that it is in the UK and not yet in Canada. If anything, I would expect a North American rollout before global.

Anyway, if there are any Canadian sites you visit, it might be worthwhile to do some investigation. I was reading somewhere about others having to do some sort of housekeeping steps before the update was visible to their devices.

My friend got it on his desktop.

I have no words.

Buelligan

Update went as smooth as SILK!! As they ALWAYS do for me. Does seem snappier in some way. I just went to windows updates checked the box and hit install. 809 MB and it took about 5 mins to install after it downloaded. Restarted and running with no problems at all!