What's new

A reluctant RT user

maxwelldm

OK, we were asked to introduce ourselves. I am an old man who has been using computers since the early days of DOS. (Actually before that. I learned Basic on a Commodore-64.) But I do not claim any expertise in operating systems. I was able to make the transition from 98 to XP to 7 fairly painlessly. But the introduction of the touch interface on the Surface-RT has me buffaloed. The user manual from M-S does not answer many of my questions, so I have signed up here in the hopes of finding folk who have grown up in the Cyber generation for whom all this is intuitively obvious, and who are willing to shepherd a grandfather into the computer era.

leeshor

Welcome aboard maxwell

Everyone here was where you are now, at some point in the past. A year from now it will be old hat.

malberttoo

OK, we were asked to introduce ourselves. I am an old man who has been using computers since the early days of DOS. (Actually before that. I learned Basic on a Commodore-64.) But I do not claim any expertise in operating systems. I was able to make the transition from 98 to XP to 7 fairly painlessly. But the introduction of the touch interface on the Surface-RT has me buffaloed. The user manual from M-S does not answer many of my questions, so I have signed up here in the hopes of finding folk who have grown up in the Cyber generation for whom all this is intuitively obvious, and who are willing to shepherd a grandfather into the computer era.

Max, welcome! I also learned Basic on a Commodore 64! Wow that brings back some memories...

When you bought your Surface, did you just want to try it out? Or did you have specific uses in mind?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
C64 ruled :) Its kinda fitting ... C64 was an all in one device too... now we've come full circle with just a few upgrades and the screen is built-in. :D

daniielrp

I've never used anything earlier than Win95, so I'm a bit ignorant to those older systems. But give me anything newer and I'll answer any question you have ;)

OP
M

maxwelldm

Max, welcome! I also learned Basic on a Commodore 64! Wow that brings back some memories...

When you bought your Surface, did you just want to try it out? Or did you have specific uses in mind?
No, it was bought specifically for a purpose - a lightweight tablet to be used to show photos to various people we were visiting, Skyping (is that a verb?), accessing email on the road, web access. After 6 months' use I can't say I am wildly enthusiastic, but how much of this is due to failure of the machine, and how much just because I am too old to figure out how to use it properly I do not know. We still have ongoing issues - the screen dims at intervals without any obvious trigger, the thing refused to turn on at all for no apparent reason, the translation program, (which we discovered with great delight), worked perfectly, then abruptly stopped working, sometimes tapping on a hot spot does what it is supposed to and sometimes absolutely nothing happens. (I am constantly restraining my wife's response of hitting it harder - a lot harder). In simple terms it is flaky and unreliable, but how much of this is the hardware, and how much the user, (me), I do not know.