What's new

A stroll down Windows memory lane

leeshor

I've seen articles like this before and they seem to be copying each other.

Who knows what they left out?

It was a distinct version number that I sold and installed it by another name. Sold a lot of it in the day. (hint, it was sold under 2 or more names). But all the lists always leave it out or at least don't mention it. No cheating. ;)

Windows through the ages

OP
leeshor

leeshor

Still not what I was thinking off but great stuff anyway, except maybe for "Bob". ;)

What they are missing is something I sold hundreds of copies of and never called it by its numerical description.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Still not what I was thinking off but great stuff anyway, except maybe for "Bob". ;)

What they are missing is something I sold hundreds of copies of and never called it by its numerical description.
Windows for Workgroups?

OP
leeshor

leeshor

Nope, not yet. They mentioned WFW but referred to it as 3.1 when it morphed into 3.11, which was a big deal at the time. (I was an Artisoft Lantastic networking dealer so 3.11 pretty much put a stake in the heart of that business). So that was another one not 100% correct or fully explained.

One more clue, some people couldn't wait for one of the versions because previous versions lacked one capability and it isn't 3.11 I'm talking about.

OP
leeshor

leeshor

So you must be thinking of Windows/386?
Bingo!

Windows 2.1 technically but there was Windows 386 and Windows 286 and I had customers anxiously awaiting a verison of Windows that supported those expensive co-processors.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I think Windows 95 got its name because of the number of floppy disks it came on :rolleyes: (not counting the Boot Disk).

(Windows 10 would require about 1,000 DMF 1.68 MB disks)

1318107518.or.63535.jpg

lhauser

That brings back a few memories.

I spent two months testing Win95 at a law firm I worked for. The first thing that impressed me was how well it worked with Novell Netware. I had expected Microsoft to support NT as the primary networking technology, but Microsoft knew they needed to provide superior Netware connectivity to win over the corporate market. As soon as I knew my days of running memory optimizers to squeeze both network drivers and applications into RAM were through, I became a big Windows advocate.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That brings back a few memories.

I spent two months testing Win95 at a law firm I worked for. The first thing that impressed me was how well it worked with Novell Netware. I had expected Microsoft to support NT as the primary networking technology, but Microsoft knew they needed to provide superior Netware connectivity to win over the corporate market. As soon as I knew my days of running memory optimizers to squeeze both network drivers and applications into RAM were through, I became a big Windows advocate.
Oh the horrors that brings back... was a W95 trainer for a W95 launch Authorized Support Center... then a second one for a Compaq Support Center. 30-40 per class for months...