What's new

About to join the crew!

r34p3rex

I'm picking up a brand new SP3 (i5/256gb) with the keyboard cover tomorrow for $1000 from a friend who won it in a work raffle. I've been eyeing the i3 version for a while now, but this deal was too good to pass up!

Anyway, since he doesn't have the receipt for it (it was purchased some time in December by his company), is it still possible for me to buy Microsoft Complete for it? Also, any idea how the warranty would work without the original proof of purchase?

Already bought a Phantom Glass protector based on its reviews and the fact that it's only 0.2mm thick compared to the Microsoft protector at 0.5mm. Also been looking at some carbon fiber skins for the back, but haven't settled on one yet!

Is there a recovery partition on the SP3? First thing I'm planning on doing is wiping the SSD and using my Windows 8.1 install media with all updates integrated up until December 2014 for a fresh clean install

dajogejr

I'd buy a 16gb flash drive, create a recovery just to have before wiping it clean and starting from scratch.
I got a 3 pack of Mr. Shield Matte protectors off Amazon for 9 shipped free via prime. I like the anti-glare as well as the feedback when using the stylus to take notes. Screen is just as responsive touch typing or using the pen, just feels like you're writing on paper instead of "grease"...

If you're unable to get the MS Complete warranty due to POP, hit square trade. Not as good of an option, but protection vs. drops and breaks.

You're gonna love it. If you just run it out of the box, get the firmware update done first, then the rest of the MS windows updates.

Reactions: Kif

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome. I'm fairly sure you won't be disappointed with your purchase :)

With regard to the warranty, i cannot say. I recently entered a draw for (another) ipad air 2, because why not, and it stated that the prize was for a promotional purpose and neither the website nor apple would be held liable for warranty claims etc. I would just get in contact with MS and ask them. Live chat if possible. MS seem to be bending over backwards to make buyers as happy as can be (i got a replacement pen worth £50 no questions asked no proof requested no request to return the original pen, and just spoke to them about wear and tear on the type cover and they were happy to replace free of charge for a new one, again, no questions asked). Talk to MS about this, i feel confident they will be happy to help.

Sorry i'm not some technical deity, but best of luck with it :) Your friend is one lucky SOB!

Honestly can't see why you would want to do a fresh install though. MS doesn't include any bloatware etc, out of the box, while there are updates available, it's as clean an install as you could ask for.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You should put the Surface drivers on that image first otherwise you might run into trouble.

OP
R

r34p3rex

I'd buy a 16gb flash drive, create a recovery just to have before wiping it clean and starting from scratch.
I got a 3 pack of Mr. Shield Matte protectors off Amazon for 9 shipped free via prime. I like the anti-glare as well as the feedback when using the stylus to take notes. Screen is just as responsive touch typing or using the pen, just feels like you're writing on paper instead of "grease"...

If you're unable to get the MS Complete warranty due to POP, hit square trade. Not as good of an option, but protection vs. drops and breaks.

You're gonna love it. If you just run it out of the box, get the firmware update done first, then the rest of the MS windows updates.

Good point. I have a few lying around. The image is also available online no?

Welcome. I'm fairly sure you won't be disappointed with your purchase :)

With regard to the warranty, i cannot say. I recently entered a draw for (another) ipad air 2, because why not, and it stated that the prize was for a promotional purpose and neither the website nor apple would be held liable for warranty claims etc. I would just get in contact with MS and ask them. Live chat if possible. MS seem to be bending over backwards to make buyers as happy as can be (i got a replacement pen worth £50 no questions asked no proof requested no request to return the original pen, and just spoke to them about wear and tear on the type cover and they were happy to replace free of charge for a new one, again, no questions asked). Talk to MS about this, i feel confident they will be happy to help.

Sorry i'm not some technical deity, but best of luck with it :) Your friend is one lucky SOB!

Honestly can't see why you would want to do a fresh install though. MS doesn't include any bloatware etc, out of the box, while there are updates available, it's as clean an install as you could ask for.

It's just one of those habits I've gotten myself into. Plus my image includes a lot of the programs I'd normally have to install one-by-one :)

You should put the Surface drivers on that image first otherwise you might run into trouble.

Looking into it now!

OP
R

r34p3rex

Oh, anyone dual booting Linux on their SP3? The 3.19 kernel that's supposed to be released in the coming weeks apparently comes with native Type Cover support :) Thinking of repartitioning the drive and waiting for 3.19 to drop instead of custom compiling a 3.18 kernel

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, anyone dual booting Linux on their SP3? The 3.19 kernel that's supposed to be released in the coming weeks apparently comes with native Type Cover support :) Thinking of repartitioning the drive and waiting for 3.19 to drop instead of custom compiling a 3.18 kernel
Ok, now your just going to ruin a great product :D

OP
R

r34p3rex

I have my reasons for needing Linux :D My soon-to-be retired ultrabook has been running Linux exclusively for the past year haha

VickiFL

They usually want a receipt when they sell you the MS Complete. At least, that has been our experience.

malberttoo

@r34p3rex, welcome to the forum!

Call the Microsoft Store at 1-877-696-7786 and tell them you want to buy Complete for your SP3. They will want the serial number, which is under the kickstand. If it WAS purchased shortly before you got it, then you should probably still be within the 45-day purchase window.

Edit, you could try the online way first if you want- https://myservice.surface.com/en-US/Pages/Welcome.aspx, "Buy A Service Plan".

dajogejr

you can absolutely find the images here as well, but as pointed out....factory image is bloat free. I personally think it's a waste of time.