What's new

AC Router Worth It?

David Puddy

My SP3 is getting 144mbs on WiFi on battery using an 'N' router 5ghz. Is it worth getting an AC router, will it make it much faster?

thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Much of it depends on how much internal networking you do, I'm getting 585 - 890 Mbps with my AC Router, but my home Internet is around 56 Mbps so the AC doesn't help from a speed perspective but I also live a dense urban environment and my AC Router is the only on in the area so I don't end up with any contention....

bluegrass

I don't see how it matters that much when probably over 90% of people are connected to 6 megabits or less at home. The only time I see above 20 megabits is at work if I'm connected to the Internet via hard wire.

GoodBytes

Its good if you stream or transfer things between systems.
Considering that the price of Wireless N and AC are similar, just get AC for a new router, assuming you don't have a good wireless N one already.

JesseDiaz

Its good if you stream or transfer things between systems.
Considering that the price of Wireless N and AC are similar, just get AC for a new router, assuming you don't have a good wireless N one already.

I concur- I transfer music,movies, etc between systems all the time and I cant wait to get my Almond + router

Seneleron

Home networking is where it really shines. It's also worth upgrading to if you have a 10+ year old router. Of course, I'm a tech addict, so grain of salt here :)

jbowden

I just upgraded my old Netgear router today with the New Netgear AC3200 Nighthawk X6. It is incredible fast...and will be interesting to see what speed I can get when the SP3 arrives :)

mcsenerd

I'm gonna wait until the price of that thing drops a bit. 300's a lot to drop on something like that right outta the gate.

ipaq_101

I have this old router I picked up on amazon refurbished a few years ago:
http://support.linksys.com/en-us/support/routers/E1500

It works ok, but I wonder if I am missing something not upgrading to the latest and greatest.

I don't do gaming, I do stream a lot from my ROKU to my tv and from PC to tv (cord cutter here), any reason to upgrade? Please educate me, I haven't looked at the new router tech in a long time. If it's worth upgrading any good recommendations?