What's new

AC Router Worth It?

DanL

i ordered one for $255 at Staples using a 15 percent in store coupon so you need to hit pay at store and then use the coupon when paying. 43930 coupon expires today.

That's a good price for the R8000. It doesn't get mentioned much here but Staples is another good place to buy computers/accessories. For some reason Staples and Best Buy are waiting until the July 18th to release the 8000. Amazon and a few others started shipping them earlier this week.

Some of the early Amazon reviews look good. The Netgear forums have opened an 8000 section but not a lot going on yet.

OP
D

David Puddy

I can't say I do a lot of transferring of files at home so maybe the ac router isn't worth it for me? I'm getting 144 mbps on my wireless N 5ghz network.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having just idly looked at the price of ac routers, I think I'll just run around with a memory stick. Definitely not a consumer product yet in terms of pricing.

ipaq_101

I didn't want to drop $300 on the R8000, so I bought the R7000, put the dd-wrt firmware on it and all I can say is.....damn! I have been living in the dark ages all this time. This thing is ridiculously fast.

DanL

I didn't want to drop $300 on the R8000, so I bought the R7000, put the dd-wrt firmware on it and all I can say is.....damn! I have been living in the dark ages all this time. This thing is ridiculously fast.

I've been looking at the exact same setup. It seems like all of the AC routers are having some firmware issues right now. Some brands worse than others. The R7000 with dd-wrt seems to be the most stable.

The R7000 is just as fast as the R8000. The R8000 was designed for larger families that have more devices. It's supposed to assign the faster and slower clients to separate channels so they do not interfere with each other. The big difference is having 2 separate 5Ghz channels.

I'd like to hear what you think of the dd-wrt after spending some time with it.