Access Security

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by glr, Jul 8, 2014.

1. glr

glr Member

My surface 3 will be used for work and will contain sensitive information. I plan to invoke bitlocker to protect the SSD. But access control will be critical too. It seems that Face Recognition would provide a nice balance between effectiveness and convenience but that may not be ready for prime time.

On my soon to be replaced laptop, I have enabled Bitlocker's USB authentication. So it requires a thumb drive with the bitlocker access key. Absent that, it will not boot.

I am wondering what you more experienced folks are doing to protect access to your data on this very portable device.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    The SP3 is Bitlockered right OOB, I personally use a Very Strong Password (no less than 8 characters and must include all of the following upper/lower, numeric and at least one non-alpha numeric character). For Data Storage I use OneDrive for Business for work related items and OneDrive Personal for my personal data.

3. TunaSurface

TunaSurface Active Member

What you hiding in there ? the krabby patty secret ingredient?

4. ctitanic

ctitanic Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    If security is that important then do not save anything in the SDD card. Better use onedrive.

5. unruledboy

unruledboy Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    For quick access purpose (without network or internet data limit etc), there is software to encrypt a whole folder and it is password protected, sorry, I can't remember the name of the software I used to use.

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Its called EFS - the Encrypted File System, if you are going to use it Encrypt at the Folder Level as everything in the Folder is Encrypted.

7. glr

glr Member

I was thinking Bitlocker will be sufficient to achieve the necessary file encryption. Based on the responses so far, it seems that a strong password is my best option, at least until reliable Face Recognition becomes available. I may continue the USB authentication too.

Finally, I am thinking of adding an unprotected but limited user so that should my computer be stolen, the thief can still get online and be detected by LoJack.