What's new

Accessories etc

laurie1203

Hi

I have been looking at accessories for my new surface pro 3 and trying to decide what to get. I use it for my internet marketing business and social media management mostly. What would you say have been the most useful accessories you have bought so far?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id say it depends on how you would use it in general and more specifically as well. Like, what percentage of time would you use it while traveling vs in the office/home office or as a Tablet vs Laptop replacement. That might dictate whether you need travel accessories or not or a docking station or protective casing or presentation aids.

So if someone says my travel case is the best accessory along with extra battery pack and Miracast Adapter etc. that may or may not be useful to you. Some people have specific work flows they try to stick to and want to duplicate as closely as possible and that drives their desire for different accessories. Others adapt their work more to the device.

So for me... and what I do, I try to use native capabilities of each device as much as possible adapting my work style to each device as much as possible. I have a docking station but its not the MS one because I use it with other devices as well, I wouldn't want to be without it. Even so I use my Surface as a tablet more than a laptop/desktop. I probably use the on screen keyboard more than the MS Type Cover and my Full Wireless keyboard docked more also. I have an aversion to Bluetooth devices and avoid them as much as possible ... they are historically bad IMO and this mood predates the Surface.

I already had a decent bag which I use for travel but that's an important thing to have when needed, it's not likely the bag I would have bought if I was starting with the Surface but I'm not replacing it just yet.

I use a Netgear Push2TV 3000 for attaching to any monitor or TV for presentations, works with anything that has an HDMI port, it's small and I know I can rely on it when needed.

If you want that all put together look for appearance's sake at high level meetings you might want a classy folio case.

Ooh, you got one of my early morning ramblings ... :)
Now to change my clocks and spring forward to... morning. Blackbird has spoken, morning has broken. :)

Last edited:

EpilEpic

Over here, I have an overview of the stuff I carry around.

Some other stuff I've bought:
- Logitech Touchpad T650,
I use it a lot when I have my surface connected to my external display. Thanks to the Unify adapter I only need 1 USB port to connect this touchpad, an external keyboard and a mouse. The compatibility and options with W8 are really amazing on this touch pad + it's wireless!.

- DC cable for my external battery pack

- I'm also waiting for a car charger I'm guessing really charging will go rather slow but I will mainly use it to prevent the battery from draining
to much when using it when i'm on the road and hopefully it will keep the same battery level instead of going down when plugged in.

- I'm planning on buying a GPS module, i've been told here on the forum this was a good choice
- other stuff I will buy: a wireless adapter and somekind of cheap docking sollution
- also for the road i've bought a ONE TOUCH Y580, so i can enjoy mobile internet on the road without sing my phones mobile internet Mb's.

and a HDMI switch to be able to switch between SP3/HTPC/phone/tablet and laptop.

I'm hoping you can find some stuff you like and if I can help you with anything, just tell me!
I can tell you right now I couldn't do without the logitech Touchpad so I'd say that's my most useful accesoire.

Haldi

a simple 3 in 1 miniDP to DP/HDMI/DVI Adapter, because not everywhere there is a miniDP when you have to make presentations.
And thats about all i carry around all the time except the typecover ;)

Maybe one day i will buy a Miracast receiver. But my expectations to this thingy are exceptional, i don't want a simple receiver but an universal receiver that will support me in any situatione! (HDMI Male/Female port, DP Port, VGA port, Battery for at least 4h, DLNA server....) ;)

ptrkhh

- also for the road i've bought a ONE TOUCH Y580, so i can enjoy mobile internet on the road without sing my phones mobile internet Mb's.
How long does the battery last?

Im thinking to keep a mifi in my bag for both my SP3 and phone, so that I only need to pay for one data plan. However, it has to be dependable enough to last at least a couple of days on a single charge.

EpilEpic

How long does the battery last?

Im thinking to keep a mifi in my bag for both my SP3 and phone, so that I only need to pay for one data plan. However, it has to be dependable enough to last at least a couple of days on a single charge.

I'll let you know once I've tested it some more, it just arrived yesterday so i'll need some time to use it for a while before I reccomend it.

BTW: I bought this seccond hand for €5 because I wasn't sure of it being compatible with the belgian providors...Therefor I don't know in what state the battery will be, but the seller told me he used it only twice or so.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I recently acquired a Bluetooth mouse, Logitech Ultrathin Touch Mouse t630. I really like this little guy. If you are looking for a mini-mouse to carry its definitely worth consideration.
Because sometimes you feel like a mouse... Surface standing on Airplane tray, you are relaxed leaning back with mouse on your leg, your neck is not bent down looking in your lap, very comfortable. :)
shopping

• Height:18 mm or 0.71 inches
  • Width:59 mm or 2.32 inches
  • Depth:85 mm or 3.35 inches
  • Weight:70 g or 2 ounce
  • Rechargeable, with USB charging cable