What's new

Accessories recommendations?

Nickolai

I'm going to buy a Surface Pro 2 with 256GB SSD/8GB RAM.

Dock and Type Cover 2 are a given.

What other accessories would you recommend? Are Microsoft mice for Surface any good? Are the extra pens better than the stock one? What about sleeves (I think having this one for Surface would be nice)?

TunaSurface

Oh man you're going all in aren't you :p. A lot of things really depend on your needs.

The pen works as a pen but a lot of people who use the surface for real drawing
recommend the Wacom Bamboo. But do you really need it?

Personally I'd recommend getting a bluetooth keyboard of some sorts, either the newly discontinued wireless
adapter for your type cover: bit.ly/1i60ZFZ
Or the surface wedge keyboard: http://bit.ly/1mkuTZR.
If money isn't a problem I'd buy a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo with an unifying
usb receiver: Keyboard & Mouse Combos - Logitech.

Since you'll get the dock you're pretty much set for ports.
I'd also recommend getting an adapter to plug it into an external monitor or a tv.
An external hard drive wouldn't hurt, even though you'll get the 256GB version after Windows 8 is installed
it will actually have 212 GB remaining. That's more than enough for me, but depending on your use it would be simpler
to keep certain things at home while on a trip.

The mice are comfy but I wouldn't say that they're fit for gaming.
Speaking of gaming, get a xbox controller for it. Either a bluetooth receiver
if you already have a controller, or a new one made for windows.
:)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Same for Surface 3?

Rumor for the Surface 3 is TegraK1 with 64bit ARM (Touted by NVIDIA at CES/MWC), I would expect around September as well if 64bit RT is viable...

The wildcard here is Windows 9, which is rumored for Spring 2015 so that could hold up 3rd Gen.

CrippsCorner

Certainly would love to see a Mini, as I wouldn't actually be buying a Pro 3 even if it were revealed. Would definitely be one of those 100% don't need it, but damn well want it products!

OP
N

Nickolai

Oh man you're going all in aren't you :p.
Yep! :p

One reason for this is that I am living in a country where Surface's are not officially available (only 1st gen. RT was), so that I need help a friendly help from the US to even buy from Microsoft's store. Combined with the fact that our postal service takes ridiculous amount of time to ship everything, it's only reasonable, I think, to order everything at one go; otherwise it will literally take months for me to get all I need.

The pen works as a pen but a lot of people who use the surface for real drawing recommend the Wacom Bamboo. But do you really need it?
I am planning to draw with it, so I might as well order a good pen, too.

Personally I'd recommend getting a bluetooth keyboard of some sorts, either the newly discontinued wireless
adapter for your type cover: bit.ly/1i60ZFZ
Or the surface wedge keyboard: http://bit.ly/1mkuTZR.
Given that I will have a Type Cover, docking station and a desktop (wired) keyboard, what would I need some kind of wireless keyboard for, especially the one like wireless adapter or wedge keyboard?

I'd also recommend getting an adapter to plug it into an external monitor or a tv.
I think I'd better buy something like Roku instead. But that's a question worth separate consideration.

Thank you!

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Rumor for the Surface 3 is TegraK1 with 64bit ARM (Touted by NVIDIA at CES/MWC), I would expect around September as well if 64bit RT is viable...

The wildcard here is Windows 9, which is rumored for Spring 2015 so that could hold up 3rd Gen.

I really would not mind waiting for Win 9 on a Surface 3 (but no chance of it having a pen and an active digitiser given the persistent rumours that the Surface Mini RT may be equipped with one?). Thanks.