What's new

Adding case to SP4 causes overheat. Do I need a case?

Dimi

I purchased a folio cover/case for my SP4 that had 4.5 stars on amazon. It helps me to use the SP4 on my lap in an airport and i felt it would protect the surface. I also felt it would protect the type cover when I have to stash it in my briefcase while taxiing (have to make the surface look like a tablet so the flight attendants don't make me put it away).

Twice now my surface has overheated while in the case. Once while i was home and it was connected to the dock (I think the surface being closed built up heat). The case has felt on the inside where it touches the surface

Do others have this problem?
Does the surface need to be protected by a folio cover while being stuffed in a briefcase and taken all over the place?

I have an SP4 Core I 7 8 gig ram.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

This same problem has happened to other people as well. I keep mine in a case I got from Microsoft when I got my SP4 and have never had that happen but there are 2 possibilities, both possibly connected. Many have had that happen when in a "book bag" I suspect for the same reason. One possible cause is that it is sleeping and only a light tap of the power button will wake it up but also simply being sleeping, when in connected standby, (CS), will allow it to at least try to do some background work and it isn't really turned off.

The default power settings leave the Surface on in CS for 120 minutes. If this continues to be a problem disabling CS is one answer and allow it to go into hibernation in 30 minutes, (again in advanced power settings). Another option is to simply turn it off, a shutdown. I frequently do that when I don't feel I'll be using it really soon, like when I'm on my way out of the office.

OP
D

Dimi

Welcome to the forum

This same problem has happened to other people as well. I keep mine in a case I got from Microsoft when I got my SP4 and 8have never had that happen but there are 2 possibilities, both possibly connected. Many have had that happen when in a "book bag" I suspect for the same reason. One possible cause is that it is sleeping and only a light tap of the power button will wake it up but also simply being sleeping, when in connected standby, (CS), will allow it to at least try to do some background work and it isn't really turned off.

The default power settings leave the Surface on in CS for 120 minutes. If this continues to be a problem disabling CS is one answer and allow it to go into hibernation in 30 minutes, (again in advanced power settings). Another option is to simply turn it off, a shutdown. I frequently do that when I don't feel I'll be using it really soon, like when I'm on my way out of the office.

Thanks for your reply I was not really clear. This is only happened when I am using the laptop either in the case in laptop mode or with the case close and connected to the docking station. The laptop is operating at full power and the case seems to make it overheat. This happens when it is closed and connected to the docking station and also one of those open and used as a laptop.

leeshor

I don't either. All you're doing if you have a case on it when using it is holding on the heat. Mine only goes into a case for travel.

I got a sleeve case that protects it when it is in my bag etc. If I feel like using it I just take it out and use it like I would with my previous laptops then back to the sleeve and back in my bag again. Great protection no overheating but for the dock I guess it's not ideal...

OP
D

Dimi

So some protection IS necessary when it is in my briefcase? What is the purpose of the sleeve? To prevent crushing? Is it padded?

leeshor

The one I got from Microsoft has a little padding. It' suits me for how I carry it. It's very lightweight/slim/trim.