What's new

Adjusting volume too complicated

Mikewired

After being on a MacBook pro for the last 6 years I am having a hard time with easily adjusting the volume. Am I missing something? Yes there are dedicated volume buttons, but try those with one hand. I would rather have volume on the keyboard vs search or play pause. I currently swipe from the right, click on the speaker icon then adjust the volume. This is a major pain if watching full screen video. I was wondering about key remapping but I have not tried it yet. Is there another way? I am loving the surface but am having doubts and thinking of going back to MacBook pro retina 13.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use one hand to use the hardware buttons, it isn't difficult.... there are keyboard mapping utilities by the dozen, Auto Hotkey being a free and powerful tool.

I would say though that is the Volume controls are making you want to go back to your MacBook Pro, could it be you just really miss using your Mac? Which is fine and we truly understand....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can make a custom gesture with TouchMe Gesture Studio for volume control. I'm pretty sure Apple hasn't patented that. ;)

riggi

What are you watching your videos with?
VLC can adjust the volume with the scroll wheel on the mouse or 2 finger scroll on the trackpad.
VLC will play just about everything

cdf3

You can make a custom gesture with TouchMe Gesture Studio for volume control. I'm pretty sure Apple hasn't patented that. ;)
I use this app for quickly changing the volume, without having to use the hardware buttons.

wynand32

Hmmm... Interesting how our perceptions can be so different. I've terribly enjoyed having hardware volume buttons, like my other tablets have, compared to resorting to any keyboard or other option. Whether in tablet or notebook mode, I find the hardware buttons more intuitive and convenient.

No trying to be argumentative--it's really fascinating to me how differently people approach these things. No wonder it's so difficult to make the "perfect" machine...

malberttoo

Using my left hand, I press my thumb down on the top corner of the edge to steady it, then use my index finger to press the button. Works ok for me.