sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Try adding it manually like this...

Screenshot (122).png

Last edited:

Chris Grew

I have mentioned this previously.

From new Windows 8.1 came with at least one ad programme! The easiest way to see this is to go to uninstall, check what everything is. I found one and when I went to remove it, I foolishly didn't read the windows which came up. I later discovered that they were asking me if I wanted to install something else!

It took some time to get rid of all the various bits of junk that had been installed.

Never seen this before and not on two other new computers I recently bought for the office, but have gone into a store and seen that what I found was on the new SP3's as well!

Sorry, but I cannot remember what it was called, but like the OP it kept bringing up ads and was the first time I have seen anything like it since the early days of the internet. Every time you tried to shut something down another 2 or 3 windows would open up!

Some of you may recall that when I bought this SP3 it had a problem and I could not install MS Business Contact Manager. In the end India spent several hours trying to track down the problem. In the end they did a completely fresh install of 8.1. You might correctly guess that I found the offending ad programme after they finished!

Best regards

Chris

I use all three methods at the same time!

I keep my hosts file uopdated from the link earlier in the thread, I have all the tracking lists added and I also use AdblockPlus IE 1.3 as well.

its so nice browsing the web with all three enabled, almost nothing obnoxious or annoying gets through. Even many metro apps have their ads removed (I think from the hosts file)

buers

Try adding it manually like this...

Thanks! Seems, I oversee something. I have no problem, to access the URL you have given. However, I see no means, to add this URL manually to the tracking protection lists. (I tried to look carefully at your screen shot.)

All I see, is the "get tracking protection list online", where I cannot give an URL (and where google is not listed).

It's no big issue, anyways.

Back and especially swipe back is horribly fubar, avoid it at all costs.

How are you reading a forum like this one, without using "Back" or swiping back?

BTW. Swiping Back seems also to use quite some data transfer, but still does not update the former page (i.e. in Desktop IE, after reading a thread, than "back", I see immediately from the color of the thread title, that I have read it, not so in the MUI).

To not make this look off topic for this thread: I have no idea, what MUI IE is doing and transfering when swiping back. There is the hope, that the tracking protection makes it less disturbing.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
How are you reading a forum like this one, without using "Back" or swiping back?
Read a post/thread then hit "Active Topics" at the top of the page.
It's usually faster to even close the page if you get stuck in 'go back hell' and reopen and navigate to where you were than wait.