What's new

Advanced startup- recovery image

Edo0003

So I'm a noob when it comes to computer stuff, I was just wondering if someone can explain to me how advanced startup: recovery image works. I feel like my surface is a little buggy so a MS recommended me to go through this process but he was terrible in explaining to me what it was.

Thanks!

ctitanic

leeshor

I think you are confused by the terms. What ctitanic pointed you to was a way to do a refresh or reset and that may (will) cure bugs in your system but a recovery image should be on your Surface and is what the tablet uses to perform the refresh or reset.

Were you possibly wondering how o create an image?

OP
E

Edo0003

Well in order to create an image, I just follow the link right?

So then what is the benefit of doing the advanced startup? Or a recovery image?

ctitanic

Well in order to create an image, I just follow the link right?

So then what is the benefit of doing the advanced startup? Or a recovery image?

Just follow the instructions to refresh your Surface, that's all you need. Nothing about partitions, recovery, or anything like that.

Liam2349

Your Sufrace Pro 3 has a recovery partition. In this partition, you have your recovery image. If you ever want to refresh your PC, or reset it (reinstall Windows) then this image will be used to do that. So if you get into any trouble, you have an onboard recovery image - no need to make one.

You can move the image off of your Surface to gain a bit more space, but I recommend leaving it where it is.

You can also create more advanced images, such as a full system image. This would be an image of your entire SP3 as it is - metro apps, settings, desktop apps, drivers and the whole lot. You can create one of these and save it to an external device, whilst still having the stock recovery image on your Surface.