What's new

Advice about PDF app

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering if you have compared PDF Markup with other competitive apps like DrawBoard PDF and Xodo. If yes, could you summarize your observations please? And, also are you using the PDF Mark up app from the Windows Store or did you buy if off the BlueBeam site? Thanks in advance.

Much of my work involves filling in forms, marking suggested changes to maps, and signatures.

My basic observation is that most pen-enabled .pdf markup apps overly "spline" the input. That is, processing is performed on pen actions to smooth strokes into segments of smooth curves or straight lines. The issue with straight lines has been a particular complaint of users on this forum. The issue with lines, and with curves makes signatures appear poorly-rendered, not natural, as on paper, which would capture every motion.

Also, either not enough options for thickness, opaqueness (non-transparency/ink bleed-through), and color, or conversely, too many options, is also troublesome. And the app must be fast and reliable, allowing zooming in before marking up, to allow for precise editing.

I have tested:
- Adobe Reader Touch
- Drawboard PDF
- Notebook Pro
- PDF Annotation
- PDF Jack
- PDF Markup
- PDF Touch
- Reader (by Microsoft)

OPINION:
Of these, PDF Markup has the best markup (no filling of form fields), and Reader has the best filling of form fields (no pen or finger markup).

I have yet to discover an app that handles forms and markup equally well. Fortunately, it is not very common that a form has places to free-hand markup, or a form needs markup, and also has pre-determined form fields.

All these apps were obtained from the Microsoft App Store, and all are very inexpensive.

I hope this information is helpful.

kristalsoldier

Much of my work involves filling in forms, marking suggested changes to maps, and signatures.

My basic observation is that most pen-enabled .pdf markup apps overly "spline" the input. That is, processing is performed on pen actions to smooth strokes into segments of smooth curves or straight lines. The issue with straight lines has been a particular complaint of users on this forum. The issue with lines, and with curves makes signatures appear poorly-rendered, not natural, as on paper, which would capture every motion.

Also, either not enough options for thickness, opaqueness (non-transparency/ink bleed-through), and color, or conversely, too many options, is also troublesome. And the app must be fast and reliable, allowing zooming in before marking up, to allow for precise editing.

I have tested:
- Adobe Reader Touch
- Drawboard PDF
- Notebook Pro
- PDF Annotation
- PDF Jack
- PDF Markup
- PDF Touch
- Reader (by Microsoft)

OPINION:
Of these, PDF Markup has the best markup (no filling of form fields), and Reader has the best filling of form fields (no pen or finger markup).

I have yet to discover an app that handles forms and markup equally well. Fortunately, it is not very common that a form has places to free-hand markup, or a form needs markup, and also has pre-determined form fields.

All these apps were obtained from the Microsoft App Store, and all are very inexpensive.

I hope this information is helpful.

You bet!!! Thank you!!! I will check out PDF Markup given that I am buried in PDF documents pretty much all day and part of the night!!

Most PDF readers don't handle calculated forms very well. So I use two PDF readers.

I use Drawboard for simple reading and some markup
I use PDF-XChange for more complex documents

PDF-XChange isn't the prettiest but with a bit of customization it works well with your fingers and is feature rich. I haven't paid for it because the free features are all that I need. I wish there was a way to merge Drawboard and PDF-XChange. One app to rule them all :)