What's new

Advice on screen size & playing video content please

adamCCC

Hi,

Im hoping to buy a surface pro 3 (which will be my first surface device) and with the new aspect ratio im very curious to know how much of the screen will be cut off with black bars.

The SP3 looks really appealing on a number of aspects, but im still torn between it and something different with a slightly larger screen.

Could anyone comment on how much video content suffers by the black bars? (or even possibly provide an image of their surface pro 3 playing a tv show or a movie?) Is there much extra actual video from the surface pro 2?

Any advice would be much appreciated

p.s. im from northern ireland and have family holidaying in the US who are going to pick me up a SP3 if I ask, incase anyone was wondering why I dont just go to the store and test it out myself (not released here yet!)

Last edited:

malberttoo

How much of the "black bars" you see will depend on the aspect ratio of the show you are watching. Movies and TV shows are filmed in different ratios; where an older TV show will have a more square, boxy shape, a more modern film will probably have a more wide, rectangular shape. But the exact size of the shape can vary widely. This is my SP3 just now...

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    509.7 KB · Views: 407