What's new

After a few days with the new Intel 520 beta driver - excellent results so far!

olimjj

Thank you. I have done those steps and get that message so I have to believe somehow I got the latest drivers installed. I recently returned my i5 for an i7 and maybe MS is now preloading the beta driver on new hardware distribution. I do note the i7 has been operating much more smoothly than the i5. For a while I was thinking it was because of the processor upgrade but now think it may have been due to this driver release.
Do the Following:
Go to Device Manager
Choose Display Adapters
select arrow point to show all choices
Right Click on Intel.. and choose "Update Driver Software"
Choose Browse My Computer ..
Choose Let me Pick..
Choose Have Disk
Browse for folder where you unzipped your file
open folder and look for Graphics Subfolder
open it and choose the .inf file
follow the remaining prompts

bangsters

OK I'm at 5 BSOD's so far. System logs show a bunch of errors on the time frames where the system crashed after being in hibernate for a while. The errors below are in different time frames. I got a memory dump but I'll hold off on checking it, so far hasn't crashed yet since i got home.

By the way, the only changes I made from last night are:

1. Installed Intel Beta drivers
2. Installed MS Office Plus 2016
3. Installed Visual Studio Code
4. Installed Visual Studio Exnterprise 2015
5. Connected Microsoft Wireless Display and installed the App

The server {7006698D-2974-4091-A424-85DD0B909E23} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
The server CortanaUI.AppXd4tad4d57t4wtdbnnmb8v2xtzym8c1n8.mca did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
The User Data Access_780a5 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x00000000004380af, 0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff800ff3fba23). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: f320d37a-c55b-4672-bf3b-2a670e3faa86.
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OK I'm at 5 BSOD's so far. System logs show a bunch of errors on the time frames where the system crashed after being in hibernate for a while. The errors below are in different time frames. I got a memory dump but I'll hold off on checking it, so far hasn't crashed yet since i got home.

By the way, the only changes I made from last night are:

1. Installed Intel Beta drivers
2. Installed MS Office Plus 2016
3. Installed Visual Studio Code
4. Installed Visual Studio Exnterprise 2015
5. Connected Microsoft Wireless Display and installed the App

The server {7006698D-2974-4091-A424-85DD0B909E23} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
The server CortanaUI.AppXd4tad4d57t4wtdbnnmb8v2xtzym8c1n8.mca did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
The User Data Access_780a5 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x00000000004380af, 0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff800ff3fba23). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: f320d37a-c55b-4672-bf3b-2a670e3faa86.
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Dual GPU Model? If so, I would stick to only the approved Surface Drivers as both the NVIDIA and Intel Drivers are heavily modified to work together...I would only use the Beta drivers on an Intel Only or SP4....

bangsters

Thanks Jeff. Yes dGPU model. I ended up reinstalling last night. I removed the insider build, got to fix my c:\users\myname folder instead of trimming it to 4 characters lol... and using default drivers.

... My lock screen still shows up as a smaller window when I open my SB from sleep....annoying, but looks like that is the only issue so far...

Last edited:

bjanssen

The small lock screen is bug is such a noticeable and almost everyone seems to have it. I have no doubt that will just get fixed in due course. I wouldn't worry about that one.

bangsters

Thanks bjanssen. So everyone else using the beta drivers are not dGPU, and for those with dGPU is not to use the beta driver?

bangsters

Thanks!! OK that's what I'll be doing then. No insider builds, and no beta for me. Running i7/512/16 with dGPU.

Last edited:

bangsters

@giliav how is it performing with you SB? Still no driver crashes? You are also on i7/512/16GB with dGPU right? Are you on insider build/fast or slow track?

When I installed the beta the other day, I endedup getting multiple BSODs so I'm back to default drivers. Although I was on fast track then (I reinstalled and no longer in fast track).

Thanks!!

OP
giliav

giliav

Well I didn't get any BSODs but as I hacked the registry (using some damn privacy software) I ended up re-installing windows (clean install) Yesterday. Since the re-install I'm on the stock drivers and had no crashes yet so I didn't re-install the beta to try it again yet.

I do hope MS release a stable version of these drivers soon.