What's new

And so it begins

J515OP

Super Moderator
Nothing new here, there are already lots of keyboard cases and docks for the iPad. Admittedly this one seems to capture the Macbook aesthetic better than some of the others but as you noted this doesn't change the fact that you are still just using an iPad and not a Macbook.

keyboards-and-cases-zaggkeys-proplus-hero.jpg

iPad Keyboards, Cases, & Stands | ZAGG

and many others https://www.google.com/search?q=ipa...pw.r_qf.&fp=dfd1b788fe5f0707&biw=1200&bih=963

R0bR

That BI website is very Apple biased. Still, I find it interesting that people find and 32GB iPad at $599 plus one of these cases at $169 to be a better deal than a 32GB Surface with keyboard cover for $599 with Office included. That's ok, things will change. According to a recent article Teens find Apple products to be boring, the new cool is Android Galaxy S3 phone and Surface Tablets.

bosamar

My wife gave our daughter her old iPad. She bought a nice keyboard cover for it.... Pink no less!

v10type-r

In the end, its still an iPad. It will probably get better reviews, but thats nothing new.. it still can't do as much as a Surface can.

GreatWindows

Sooooo yeah, i heard that Apple STOCK is doing great.............lmao :wink:

Microsoft will rise again, cant wait for the Surface pro to hit the market........Photoshop, Steam, WoW, D3.......Anywhere you go.

OP
A

Afy

MS increasingly is about the enterprise. Win 2012, SQL, Dynamics, FIM.

On the consumer front the average Joe wants something that does email, facebook et al. There are a ton of devices that do that. However in the eterprise I do not believe anything comes close to MS. Even the old rival Oracle has pretty much given up.
The Surface family I believe will win that war.. simply because of RDP, AD and Office. Easier manageabiity. The Pro is the real game changer, as are the 1st gen lack of imagination OEM's. Most people who say you will not touch a laptop screen have not actually used one with touch. I have a few and keep touching non touch screens and wondering why it does not work.

Win 8 is ahead of the hardare available. I for one can not find a device I would love to buy. I have a Surface.. but what else is there. The Pro realistically wont offer more than Outlook and Visio. The i5 is not powerful enough to to Visual Sutdio + SQL ++ TFS ++ ....
nor is the storage.
But average Joe exec its brilliant. Lets see where this goes.BTW what is the best laptop/laplet/tabtop I can get? Want SSD. i7 16+GB of RAM...

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Off Topic but I'd start by looking at this. Not sure what the max RAM config will be.

Lenovo ThinkPad Helix tablet / laptop hybrid gets a power-up when it docks | The Verge

Not only does the 11.6-inch Windows 8 touchscreen tablet come with a bright 400-nit screen at full 1080p resolution, with up to a Core i7 processor, 8GB of memory, 256GB of solid state storage inside, but when you click the tablet into the keyboard dock, a special cooling system in the hinge allows the machine to overclock the Intel processor — giving it the headroom it needs to really fly. You can dock it forwards or backwards, with the screen facing away from the keyboard, if you still want a tablet but with extra performance and battery life. There's even built-in 4G LTE connectivity, a healthy array of ports, and an active Wacom stylus pen in an actual slot. There's NFC support so you can activate things by tapping phones or tags to the device, and a Kensington lock slot built into the tablet's locking mechanism, letting you keep both halves of the tablet firmly attached to a security point. Lenovo says the Helix is good for 10 hours of battery life, too, with five hours from the tablet's internal cells and five more from the keyboard.

What's the catch, you ask? Well, there's Lenovo's $1,499 starting price, an unusual glass touchpad with five buttons underneath the surface rather than readily visible, and the knowledge that you'll need to wait until February even if you have ready cash.

ArnoldC

Yes, I'm aware of the Helix but there's just something about the Lenovo that doesn't appeal to me, considering that our company uses IBM ThinkPad notebooks then... Maybe the nipple mouse, I don't know... :D

R0bR

We're a Dell shop so I ordered the Dell XPS 12 Convertible with i7, 8GB and 256 GB SSD, should have it next week. Too bad it doesn't have a digitizer. The Helix seems pretty nice for the money.

OP
A

Afy

I have been with Dell since the mid 90's. This is the first time I am thinking of moving away. Of their current offerings on the Inspiron 15z is vaguely tempting, but that is more of a laptop with a touch screen than a hybrid.
I am intrigued by the Helix..