What's new

Anniversary Update

Pwscott

Working fine here. Windows Ink Workspace is very cool. Start menu improvements are quite good.

OP
S

sjrixon

Just finished installing. After a restart, connected the 2nd monitor to the dock and it worked. I had just one external on the dock with the other disconnected as it hadn't been working for a few days.

Disconnected the dock, reconnected, still working.. I won't believe they have fixed it until it's been on and off a few times and in and out of sleep. But looks promising.

Gtfeckner

I got it yesterday, surprisingly early.

Took about one and one half hours to install, maybe a bit less. It looked as if it had frozen at 14%, but I just went to do other things, and when I came back, it was already finishing. Be patient with it, It´s slow, but works.

Mixed feelings with the update.

I use Edge, and it has improved a lot. The previous version always took me to the bottom of any webpage when it loaded, and has stopped doing that. Now you can mute tabs with active audio / video going, favorites menu has been improved, and you can choose a folder to save your downloads (how this was not possible in the previous version is simply beyond me: Do Microsoft engineers use their own products?). I haven´t used Windows Hello on Edge to log into webpages yet, but I´m really looking forward to that.

As for the OS. I liked the old start menu more, was cleaner. I find very convenient to be able to choose "quiet hours" in which Windows Update won´t bother you with restarts, but it only allows for 12 hours max. The new configuration menu is cleaner, better organized and with a search menu, but metered connections is even more hidden than before. This setting should be something immediately available to those of us on metered connections.

Ink workspace is nice but I won´t use it. I only use the stylus on One Note, and its enough for me.

I had read that resolution rescaling would be improved, but to my disappointment, it hasn´t. My old programs still look silly at 2700x1800. And my screen still flickers below 20% brightness setting.

So... fine, but not great.

Let´s wait for the next one.

PS) Please excuse my poor English.

Last edited:
I got it yesterday, surprisingly early.

Took about one and half hours to install, maybe a bit less. It looked as if it had frozen at 14%, but I just went to do other things, and when I came back, it was already finishing. Be patient with it, It´s slow, but works.

Mixed feelings with the update.

I use Edge, and it has improved a lot. The previous version always took me to the bottom of any webpage when it loaded, and has stopped doing that. Now you can mute tabs with active audio / video going, favorites menu has been improved, and you can choose a folder to save your downloads (how this was not possible in the previous version is simply beyond me: Do Microsoft engineers use their own products?). I haven´t used Windows Hello on Edge to log into webpages yet, but I´m really looking forward to that.

As for the OS. I liked the old start menu more, was cleaner. I find very convenient to be able to choose "quiet hours" in which Windows Update won´t bother you with restarts, but it only allows por 12 hours max. The new configuration menu is cleaner, better organized and with a search menu, but metered connections is even more hidden than before. This setting should be something immediately available to those of us on metered connections.

Ink workspace is nice but I won´t use it. I only use the stylus on One Note, and its enough for me.

I had read that resolution rescaling would be improved, but to my disappointment, it hasn´t. My old programs still look silly at 2700x1800. And my screen still flickers below 20% brightness setting.

So... fine, but not great.

Let´s wait for the next one.

PS) Please excuse my poor English.

Good assessment. Others have said it feels noticeably faster, but I haven't seen any such. Think the preceding days' firmware updates on Surface Pro 4 were more meaningful in that regard.

Philtastic

I'm liking the Windows Ink Workspace. Extensions for Edge (ie. AdBlock Plus) is a great upgrade. Seems like good small changes.

Gtfeckner

Good assessment. Others have said it feels noticeably faster, but I haven't seen any such. Think the preceding days' firmware updates on Surface Pro 4 were more meaningful in that regard.

Thanks for your comment.

I haven´t performed any benchmarks to confirm if it is any faster, and in normal use, I don´t have that impression.

But it could well be true, since a lot of people are reporting that since the update, their CPUs don´t throttle down as expected.

I´ve checked, and it´s true. My SP4 now is always stuck at 1.5 GHz on battery no matter what I do (it used to go down to 0.9 GHz when used for light stuff).

After some charge / dicharge cycles (I´ve been using my Surface heavily since the update) I have noticed a reduction in battery life. My battery information program also showed a constant and steep slope in battery drainage. Before the update, the graph showed different slopes, meaning different power consumptions, something coherent with the CPU throttling back depending of computing power needs.

I hope MS fixes this soon...

(PS: as usual, please excuse my poor English).

Aldec

Did the update, it completely messed up doing the installation, making it pretty well inoperable.
Rectified by opening Recovery and doing a clean reset.
Everything appears to be working except Windows Hello, ie- Facial recognition and Pin.
Perhaps the clean install removed the recent Firmware updates.
Have tried to find a way to solve this problem, M$ state that they can only be installed during updating.
If anyone could suggest a solution to the Windows Hello not working, it would be appreciated.

nnthemperor

are you guys experiencing the notification popup bug. Pop up just stays on the screen and clicking on it freezes the task bar and doesn't open the action panel