What's new

Anniversary update

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Anniversary Update on a USB drive. I could do a clean install from there, right? I assume you mean do a clean install. That's more work than I expected to do. I have another Surface Pro 3 that updated without incident. One difference is that the failing one had the update blocked until a few days ago. I would start the WU of 1607 and leave it and when I came back I still had the old version, no message. Finally I watched it and saw it fail. At least using MCT gets me an error message although it doesn't help.
A clean install of the AU might work....it sounds like you base install has corruption, you could attempt sfc /scannow and see if that is able to fix it or DISM using these instructions - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

OP
R

Rajahmon

Well, I tried all those things with no success. Looks like a clean install is the only solution.
A clean install of the AU might work....it sounds like you base install has corruption, you could attempt sfc /scannow and see if that is able to fix it or DISM using these instructions - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821
VM
Virfranz Man
replied on
Hi Rajahmon,

To help you with your concern regarding the Windows 10 anniversary update, let me suggest you to run the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Windows Update before installing the Windows 10 anniversary update. PressWindows key > Search for Troubleshooting > View all > Right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service then select run > Right-click Windows Update then select run then try to install Windows 10 anniversary update.

Please let us know how it goes for us to assist you further.

Be the first person to mark this helpful
  • rsp-helpful-top.png

RA
rajahmon
replied on

I will try what you have suggested but I have since I last posted I have more information.

If I try to update by downloading from the download center I get an error message:

80070002-20007

Failed in the SAFE_OS phase during INSTALL_DRIVERS.

Then I tried booting the MCT created USB drive. It tells me I need to supply a driver but doesn't give any more information.

• rsp-helpful-top-disabled.png

RA
rajahmon
replied on

I ran sfc /scannow. It found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

I did the BIT and WU troubleshooting. Both found errors and said they were fixed. If I run again it finds errors, fixes etc. Sometimes BIT says it can't identify the o

problem.

RA
rajahmon
replied on

Can I do a clean install with MCT and have it not dependent on what is currently installed?

I have tried this forum's suggestions and the surface forum's. The results don't change.

RA
rajahmon
replied on

I have just done a reset on my Surface Pro 3 W8.1 upgraded W10 version 1511. Installed several updates until there were no more, no AU 1607 yet. I ran the BIT and WU troubleshooting as yesterday and I get the same reports of problems that are fixed. Isn't that odd?

I haven't checked but it tells me my personal data is intact and my personal Apps have been removed. I previously saved my files with File History and did an image save with W7 backup. I haven't figured out yet if a recovery USB device to install the backup can be created.

sfc /scannow just completed and, as yesterday, said it found corrupt files and could not fix some of them.

I think my next step after dinner out to celebrate our 58th anniversary is to try a clean install of AU 1607 from the USB drive.

Comments are welcome.

OP
R

Rajahmon

Yesterday's reply (did it to myself):

I have just done a reset on my Surface Pro 3 W8.1 upgraded W10 version 1511. Installed several updates until there were no more, no AU 1607 yet. I ran the BIT and WU troubleshooting as yesterday and I get the same reports of problems that are fixed. Isn't that odd?

I haven't checked but it tells me my personal data is intact and my personal Apps have been removed. I previously saved my files with File History and did an image save with W7 backup. I haven't figured out yet if a recovery USB device to install the backup can be created.

I ran the BIT and WU test on my W10 desktop that was updated from W7. I got the same errors there. I don't dare run those on my primary desktop.

sfc /scannow just completed and, as yesterday, said it found corrupt files and could not fix some of them.

I think my next step after dinner out to celebrate our 58th anniversary is to try a clean install of AU 1607 from the USB drive.

After dinner I booted from the USB drive and did a clean install of AU. It's up and running on the Surface Pro 3. Not without incident. The installation appeared to be in a loop. After installing AU a couple times I exited not knowing if it was installed or not. It turns out it was. Now I have a rebuild job. But I expect it to be worth it.

Thanks for the help. I'm surprised the Surface was running as well as it was.